• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best Harness (UK)

robertscott

Hi all,

So I am the proud owner of a 13 week old Cavvy called Nina. As adorable as she is, she's a bit of a nightmare when we take her for walks. She tugs at the lead pretty much constantly so we have been trying the trick of standing still every time she tugs at the lead. It makes for a very slow and frustrating walk but I know it will get better so I'll persevere.

The problem however is that sometimes she sprints from one side to the other and jerks her neck. I have heard horror stories about dogs hurting themselves this way so we have decided to get her a harness.

If anyone has a particular harness they can recommend, preferably one that'll work for when she's a puppy and fully grown (if such a thing exists), and the place they got it from, then that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Hi

Great Idea getting a harness I never walk Leo on just a collar.

I use the Ezydog step in harness on Leo. Its easy to adjust, you're not pulling it over their necks and there's a choice of colours.

I bought mine in Pets At Home. It was quite reasonably priced too.

If you google them you'll be sure to find a local supplier.

I dont walk with just a collar either.

For a heavy puller, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Easy-Walk front-clip harness - or any other front-clip harness for that matter. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751027

Lady is a pretty heavy puller, and I found with the back-clip harness she was able to pull more. The front clip pulls them back towards you if they try to drag ahead. I've been using it for months now and it really is the best one I've found for a puller. Gracie doesnt pull so I use a back-clip one for her (I use the Puppia, which is very similar to the Ezydog step in Mel suggested). I clip them both together with a coupler and our walks are great now!

Good luck :)

My dogs have never walked on a collar. I have used a variety. My advice would be to pick something up locally for puppyhood, and then think about getting the more expensive styles once she's basically full grown.

And keep up the technique on the walking, it may be slow and annoying now but in a few weeks she'll be so much better and with a little management she'll be a good walker for life.

Like Courtney I use the front clip Easy-Walk for my two - far more effective than the back clip harness, which many dogs automatically pull against. Besides standing still with Nina, try walking backwards a few steps - she will automatically walk back towards you, then if you start forward again she is in exactly the place you want her, at your side. But it takes patience and perseverance and you feel an idiot!

Kate, Oliver and Aled (aka the Huskies when they wore back fastening harnesses!)

Back