• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy's 1st Trim Too Short

Lovecav82

I'm so sad. I took my little 11 month old Charlie in for his first groom. I just wanted him cleaned up and lightly trimmed, but they took off a little more than I wanted. His feathers are gone, tailed choped about two inches, and his ears about an inch :( I really think I should learn how to trim him up myself. I don't know what I was thinking. i guess I assumed most groomers are educated on how to cut certain breeds, especially cavaliers. Lesson learned I suppose.

I took Guinness in for a bath locally. There must have been some miscommunication (language barrier). She asked if wanted his feet trimmed, and I said ok. She shortened his tail, ears, feathers, all over. She actually did a really good job, but I was in shock when I picked him up.

He tracks in so much less dirt now. I think I might keep him in that cut.

I had actually been planning to drop Thistle off for an identical cut, but fortunately I didn't book that appointment.

Puppy's first trim too short

I'll tell you what helped me. Melissa Verplank has authored a text most groomers have available to them, "Notes from the Grooming Table." You can probably get the book from your library. On page 352 you will find a pencil illustration of a CKCS. I made a copy and took it to my groomer (who we really like) and drew in read ink what we envisioned for our dog (over the copied illustration). It worked really well because it gave our groomer a much clearer picture of what we wanted. If you decide to groom the dog yourself, remember, you will be using very sharp instruments on your dog - so please be mindful. I have mine at the groomer every 4 weeks and have professional grooming equipment at home to keep her tidy in the interim. If you decide to become more involved I would encourage you to view Jody Murphy's website and review her promotional DVDs (https://jodimurphy.net/shop/category/promotional-dvds/) to get a better sense of what is involved. She also has related information on her website. Also, Super Styling Sessions has a DVD for the CKCS (http://www.superstylingsessions.com/cavalierDVD.html). All the best.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what helped me. Melissa Verplank has authored a text most groomers have available to them, "Notes from the Grooming Table." You can probably get the book from your library. On page 352 you will find a pencil illustration of a CKCS. I made a copy and took it to my groomer (who we really like) and drew in read ink what we envisioned for our dog (over the copied illustration). It worked really well because it gave our groomer a much clearer picture of what we wanted. If you decide to groom the dog yourself, remember, you will be using very sharp instruments on your dog - so please be mindful. I have mine at the groomer every 4 weeks and have professional grooming equipment at home to keep her tidy in the interim. If you decide to become more involved I would encourage you to view Jody Murphy's website and review her promotional DVDs (https://jodimurphy.net/shop/category/promotional-dvds/) to get a better sense of what is involved. She also has related information on her website. Also, Super Styling Sessions has a DVD for the CKCS (http://www.superstylingsessions.com/cavalierDVD.html). All the best.

That is an excellent idea! I will have to see if my local library carries that. I mostly blame myself though for not educating myself on what I needed to tell them to do. I am a first time dog owner and I'm still learning. I know it will eventually grow back. I am looking at him right now and actually laughing a little and having fun with it. He kind of looks like a baby beagle. Oh my what have I done to my poor little Charlie?

This is not the groomers fault, and like someone else mentioned it is a result of miscommunication :)
As a groomer, I personally know that we are educated on grooming certain breeds. However there is no breed standard cut for cavaliers like there is for say a schnauzer or a cocker spaniel.
So this excessive trimming is just a miscommunication between the two of you. You MUST be clear about exactly what you want, otherwise you won't get that :)
They will do what they prefer if you don't specify what it is that you want, I have had to do this many times before for all types of dogs because the owners aren't specific enough.

The correct grooming for a show cavalier is no trimming at all, or minimal unnoticeable trimming, however most pet owners do want trimming.
Or even full clips, I have many cavalier clients that want their dog shaved except for the tail and ears, i have some with minimal trimming, some who want no feathers, some who want the ears bobbed, some who want the feet shaved etc. So the groomers are educated to do all of the above :) but as you can see none of them are all the same, it depends on the owners preference. So be crystal clear about it, we do appreciate owners who take the time explaining exactly what they want. And being clear about it isn't the same as being picky, so don't worry about that :)

I am doubting that your library will carry "notes", so I will message you the information from it for you.
The drawing on a picture with red pen is a very good idea, so is taking the dog, putting it on their desk etc. and showing the groomer exactly how much you want trimmed off each area.
Even taking in a photo, or writing it down as well as showing them would be beneficial :)

And in the end, just remember it will grow back :) I am sure he is beautiful even with short feathers :)

. He kind of looks like a baby beagle. Oh my what have I done to my poor little Charlie?

This happened to us with Oliver..he was much older though..and the groomer called my mum.
"i am so so so sorry..i accidently started shaving him..do i keep going?"
my mom said yes (what was she gonna do at this point)
groomer calls back at the end. "you can come get him..i am so sorry...he looks like a potatoe"

bahhhah a potatoe! i still am laughing out loud (litterly) at this statement.
he was over weight....and with all his fur gone..you could SEE how over weight he was.

he was mortified..he was so embarrased the poor little guy.
unfortuantly for him..my mom LIKED it.
she started getting him shaved every summer. i HATED it when she did this.

I wont be keeping maggie in show length condition..but i hope she never gets SHAVED lol

. He kind of looks like a baby beagle. Oh my what have I done to my poor little Charlie?

This happened to us with Oliver..he was much older though..and the groomer called my mum.
"i am so so so sorry..i accidently started shaving him..do i keep going?"
my mom said yes (what was she gonna do at this point)
groomer calls back at the end. "you can come get him..i am so sorry...he looks like a potatoe"

bahhhah a potatoe! i still am laughing out loud (litterly) at this statement.
he was over weight....and with all his fur gone..you could SEE how over weight he was.

he was mortified..he was so embarrased the poor little guy.
unfortuantly for him..my mom LIKED it.
she started getting him shaved every summer. i HATED it when she did this.

I wont be keeping maggie in show length condition..but i hope she never gets SHAVED lol

I have heard of this happening before so when I called a groomer in my area, I explained that my dog was a cavalier and I wanted him cut exactly to my request. Basically, I wanted to stand with the groomer while they cut my dog!!! They were super nice and were happy to let me do that. Its a small groomer shop mother and daughter operation and their fees are very reasonable. I wanted his nails trimmed and then filed smooth cause he does jump up on Mr. Monster when they are playing and freshly cut nails are SHARP. I wanted his feet trimmed short as possible in the bottom, long as possible in top, I also wanted the hair under the back of his ears thinned (since that is where we have matting well knotting I brush him daily) I also wanted his "potty area" trimmed............. I first I thought about learning to cut/clip him myself. My husband shaves his (our) mini poodle naked. I mean NAKED no hair at all he thinks its easier but you can't even tell he's a poodle. But now that Fletcher is 11 months old and his hair is coming in so nicely I'm just afraid to do it myself.

My advice figure out exactly what you want and write it down or do what I did and ask to stay so you get exactly what you want. Sure family members (my husband) thinks I'm crazy for doing this but.................

I'm so sad. I took my little 11 month old Charlie in for his first groom. I just wanted him cleaned up and lightly trimmed, but they took off a little more than I wanted. His feathers are gone, tailed choped about two inches, and his ears about an inch :( I really think I should learn how to trim him up myself. I don't know what I was thinking. i guess I assumed most groomers are educated on how to cut certain breeds, especially cavaliers. Lesson learned I suppose.

Made the same mistake myself.. Poor fella looked like a minny hitler :/ never again

Me

I have had Cavaliers for 30 years and never once have they been to a groomer. They may not look show-level immaculate, but I trim their feet, tail and ears with trimming scissors if they need it and cut the hair under their pads with ordinary scissors, and even in a scorching summer they don't get a short cut - they are simply exercised early and late and kept slim. Most of the Cavaliers I meet who have had a short trim in the summer because 'they get so hot and short of breath' are simply badly overweight and need a diet and more exercise, not having their coat choppered. In fact, a longish coat helps them to keep cool by trapping a layer of insulating air. Some groomers seem to confuse Cavaliers with Cockers, who do get stripped regularly - after all, they're all spaniels!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

This is not the groomers fault, and like someone else mentioned it is a result of miscommunication :)
As a groomer, I personally know that we are educated on grooming certain breeds. However there is no breed standard cut for cavaliers like there is for say a schnauzer or a cocker spaniel.
So this excessive trimming is just a miscommunication between the two of you. You MUST be clear about exactly what you want, otherwise you won't get that :)
They will do what they prefer if you don't specify what it is that you want, I have had to do this many times before for all types of dogs because the owners aren't specific enough.

The correct grooming for a show cavalier is no trimming at all, or minimal unnoticeable trimming, however most pet owners do want trimming.
Or even full clips, I have many cavalier clients that want their dog shaved except for the tail and ears, i have some with minimal trimming, some who want no feathers, some who want the ears bobbed, some who want the feet shaved etc. So the groomers are educated to do all of the above :) but as you can see none of them are all the same, it depends on the owners preference. So be crystal clear about it, we do appreciate owners who take the time explaining exactly what they want. And being clear about it isn't the same as being picky, so don't worry about that :)

I am doubting that your library will carry "notes", so I will message you the information from it for you.
The drawing on a picture with red pen is a very good idea, so is taking the dog, putting it on their desk etc. and showing the groomer exactly how much you want trimmed off each area.
Even taking in a photo, or writing it down as well as showing them would be beneficial :)

And in the end, just remember it will grow back :) I am sure he is beautiful even with short feathers :)

I just searched for Notes from the Grooming Table and it is quite expensive! If you don't mind, would you message the information to me as well?

I've had Tess groomed many times, and since she's not a show dog I haven't lost any sleep over the differences. I used to get her groomed in the spring when she was blowing her winter coat and I had a groomer who would give her a "puppy cut." The coat would be shortened but definitely not shaved. I haven't done that for a while so her coat is quite long and full now. It's beautiful but does get matted and tangled, and her ears get messy, even with frequent grooming. I may go back to the puppy cut later this year...

hahahah!! I know how you feel!!! It took me a while to find a groomer that I liked -- I feel like I'm more picky with the girls haircuts than I am with my own!! I even gave a picture of the exact trim I wanted for Gracie, and I was sooooo sad when I picked her up and they chopped off all her feathering and trimmed her ears but didnt thin her out at all! Luckily I found a more experienced groomer at another shop that does exactly what I request. I have discovered that you really need to do your research because lots of groomers actually have NO real training. I think the good ones are called "master groomers" - at least in my region.

I have Japanese Chin and the first time I took my girls in for a trim, I had a similar experience to yours and felt like crying when I saw what was done. It can happen to anyone, and its a learning experience, so don't beat yourself up.

With Bosco, my CKC, I was very clear in what I wanted, and happily that is just what I got. I was also lucky that the groomer owns cocker spaniels, so she was in tune with how little I wanted trimmed!

Next time, you'll know exactly what to tell the groomer, and the illustration idea is an excellent one.

Thanks for all these replies! I feel so much better after reading each one of your experiences, advice, and all around helpfulness. That is why I love this forum so much!

Back