• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Elton fly catching increase

anniemac

Elton has done some fly catching before but not frequently and for short periods of times. He has seen a neurologist but it was so infrequent that I thought it could be anxiety or behavioral related.

What concerns me is now this has become extremely frequent (several times a day) and it's like he can't stop. I am going to call or email his neurologist tomorrow but it is worrying me about this sudden change. It started to notice a couple days ago, then the next and tonight it seems continual.

So sorry Anne.
Has Elton had any additional stimulus happening lately? Anxious or not?

Thinking of you!

Sending good thoughts for Elton your way.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is fly catchers a form of epilespy?

I think it can be caused by variety of things. When I first got Elton, I noticed this before I adopted him. Holly and Pat B mentioned that it could be a symptom of SM. Of course that scared me but it wasn't that frequent and his foster never saw him do it. I showed the video of him doing this to a neurologist and is why he got an MRI. The neurologist mentioned epilepsy and was going to put him on medication. I mentioned this to his foster and she was real skeptical and I have been told that epilepsy medication is really strong. Since he didn't do this frequently (once every month or two) and only for a few seconds, I told the neurologist that I feel it is anxiety or behavioral.

Kelsey (BrooklyMom)- Elton has some anxiety and is easily excitable. This is one of the things I was going to work on with the trainer I never went back to due to her training style. I saw a noticible difference in tail chasing, over excitement, and overall behavior. There has not been any changes recently. I know I traveled some during the holidays but he was with me. Actually, he has been more socialized lately and has been around several friends cavaliers. I don't know...

They did a fecal exam at the vet visit when he was having severe issues and blood in his poop. They did not find anything. How can they see if something more serious is going on? Now I am concerned that I did not take this more seriously because he got better once he was on medication (probiotic I think and something else). Where can I find more information and what should I ask the vet?

If Elton is anxious and excitable, have you tried Bach's Rescue Remedy (assuming you can get it in the US)? It's flower/herb based so doesn't interfere with other medication, but a few drops on the tongue before going into situations that you know will be hard for Elton could help to calm him - it certainly worked for my rescue Aled in the early days when he was pretty bewildered by the world outside the puppy farm.

Kate Oliver and Aled

Back