• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toby - from adoption to now - a picture transformation

BrooklynMom

I thought you might all like to see my rescue Toby's transformation :) we adopted him 6 months ago (surrender pic on left) and look at him now (recent pic on right)!! What a difference.

His coat and eyes shine, he went from nearly 11kg to 8.8kg, he plays with toys, he is bright, and even though struggles a lot with his baggage and emotional issues, he has come a long way behaviorally too...all with the help of a great diet, proper supplements for his issues, a Delta certified positive reinforcement trainer and lots of love!
Sure, he will probably never be a lover of dog parks or other dogs (except Brooky!) in general...but he is happy for human love despite his horrible past and he can retire on my couch forever as far as I'm concerned :)

amynuje8.jpg

What a truly handsome boy! It's a real testament to your hard work to rehabilitate Toby. I often take a look at rescue websites and wish I had more time to take on a rescue dog - it breaks my heart to see how ill treated some dogs have been.

You should be very proud!

Thank you for your kind words! But also good on you, because you have a heart that wants to help, but you consider the time and effort required to take on a rescue and sometimes knowing you can't right now is actually a good decision. I work in a shelter, and while most people have big hearts and great intentions...they don't think about the fact that a rescue is something to take seriously. It can go in so many directions from easy to very hard - but a rescue always has a past (some completely loving and normal, some horrific) but they are not a decision to be taken lightly, like any dog or puppy. No matter how much someone's heart aches to help and save, one always has to make sure they are ready....and for me, thank goodness I had the time, love, education and finances to help him. I see too often in the shelter dogs that just get adopted and brought back over and over - because it was not the rescue fairy tail a person hoped it would be...and I'll tell you, even with Toby, it was SO hard the first three months (still is some days). He still struggles with the outside world, but we are learning how to guide him and let him know "we've got this". And we'll, I love his soul, it is so open.

I always tell people who want to help rescues this: adopt, if you can't adopt - foster, if you can't foster - volunteer, if you can't volunteer - donate, and if you can't donate - use your voice to help give rescues a voice and to help all the new puppies coming into this world to be born ethically for all of us to enjoy :)

Thank you for your kind words! But also good on you, because you have a heart that wants to help, but you consider the time and effort required to take on a rescue and sometimes knowing you can't right now is actually a good decision. I work in a shelter, and while most people have big hearts and great intentions...they don't think about the fact that a rescue is something to take seriously. It can go in so many directions from easy to very hard - but a rescue always has a past (some completely loving and normal, some horrific) but they are not a decision to be taken lightly, like any dog or puppy. No matter how much someone's heart aches to help and save, one always has to make sure they are ready....and for me, thank goodness I had the time, love, education and finances to help him. I see too often in the shelter dogs that just get adopted and brought back over and over - because it was not the rescue fairy tail a person hoped it would be...and I'll tell you, even with Toby, it was SO hard the first three months (still is some days). He still struggles with the outside world, but we are learning how to guide him and let him know "we've got this". And we'll, I love his soul, it is so open.

I always tell people who want to help rescues this: adopt, if you can't adopt - foster, if you can't foster - volunteer, if you can't volunteer - donate, and if you can't donate - use your voice to help give rescues a voice and to help all the new puppies coming into this world to be born ethically for all of us to enjoy :)

Great post. Such wise words.

Toby looks a different dog. How lucky he is to have found you.

Hi Kelsey,

I echo what the others say. Toby is a really handsome boy and lucky he has you looking after him.

He was a good looking guy before but man its a whole new dog now. I LOVED fostering beagles! It was really rewarding....especially since I ended up with a lot of mistreated hunting beagles who had never been inside a house before. Trying to remember oh even the microwave beeping or the sound of running water could freak a newbie out, learned that the hard way a time or two. But I have a big yard and more time at home then. So maybe I could foster cavaliers someday.

hi
toby you are such a beautiful boy your mum is a wonderful person
so give her loads of love and kisses

Such a a great story, it gives you that feel good feeling, i have a rescue called Sadie, and she has many issues still, but to me thats who she is, its part of her previous life, i don,t know whether she will ever be rid of those demons that haunt her, she did,nt even know how to play with toys or play at all really, cowers when young men approach her, and has a constant hesitant look about her, looking for reassurance always, she literally jumps a foot in the air when scared, which is often, but i treat her just the same as i do ruby, because to be honest i don,t know the answer to rid her of these awful issues, but she knows i love and care for her, i,am sure, every morning with out fail, since i got her in may 2012, she greets me her tail is wagging so vigourisly, her feet start to dance, and then she talks!!!!! And its just the greatest feeling ever, and then she goes to wake Ruby, with a morning kiss, but Ruby is not in a kissing mood, and turns over and goes back to sleep lol. These moments are so special to me, it makes me realize that although Sadie is mentally scarred, she knows what its like to be cared for and cherished, she was a lucky one, and to anyone anywhere, who rescues any dog, any breed, any animal, that its just the best feeling in the world, that you can give them something,that i costs nothing, love!!!!! Karen, Ruby and Sadie :lotsaluv:

You are an angel to Toby for giving him a much better life, and having the gift of patience to do it. Well done.

Back