Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toby - from adoption to now - a picture transformation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toby - from adoption to now - a picture transformation

I thought you might all like to see my rescue Toby's transformation we adopted him 6 months ago (surrender pic on left) and look at him now (recent pic on right)!! What a difference.

His coat and eyes shine, he went from nearly 11kg to 8.8kg, he plays with toys, he is bright, and even though struggles a lot with his baggage and emotional issues, he has come a long way behaviorally too...all with the help of a great diet, proper supplements for his issues, a Delta certified positive reinforcement trainer and lots of love!
    Sure, he will probably never be a lover of dog parks or other dogs (except Brooky!) in general...but he is happy for human love despite his horrible past and he can retire on my couch forever as far as I'm concerned

Post Thanks / Like

What a truly handsome boy! It's a real testament to your hard work to rehabilitate Toby. I often take a look at rescue websites and wish I had more time to take on a rescue dog - it breaks my heart to see how ill treated some dogs have been.

You should be very proud!
    Nicki
    Proud owner of Jazz

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your kind words! But also good on you, because you have a heart that wants to help, but you consider the time and effort required to take on a rescue and sometimes knowing you can't right now is actually a good decision. I work in a shelter, and while most people have big hearts and great intentions...they don't think about the fact that a rescue is something to take seriously. It can go in so many directions from easy to very hard - but a rescue always has a past (some completely loving and normal, some horrific) but they are not a decision to be taken lightly, like any dog or puppy. No matter how much someone's heart aches to help and save, one always has to make sure they are ready....and for me, thank goodness I had the time, love, education and finances to help him. I see too often in the shelter dogs that just get adopted and brought back over and over - because it was not the rescue fairy tail a person hoped it would be...and I'll tell you, even with Toby, it was SO hard the first three months (still is some days). He still struggles with the outside world, but we are learning how to guide him and let him know "we've got this". And we'll, I love his soul, it is so open.

I always tell people who want to help rescues this: adopt, if you can't adopt - foster, if you can't foster - volunteer, if you can't volunteer - donate, and if you can't donate - use your voice to help give rescues a voice and to help all the new puppies coming into this world to be born ethically for all of us to enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    Thank you for your kind words! But also good on you, because you have a heart that wants to help, but you consider the time and effort required to take on a rescue and sometimes knowing you can't right now is actually a good decision. I work in a shelter, and while most people have big hearts and great intentions...they don't think about the fact that a rescue is something to take seriously. It can go in so many directions from easy to very hard - but a rescue always has a past (some completely loving and normal, some horrific) but they are not a decision to be taken lightly, like any dog or puppy. No matter how much someone's heart aches to help and save, one always has to make sure they are ready....and for me, thank goodness I had the time, love, education and finances to help him. I see too often in the shelter dogs that just get adopted and brought back over and over - because it was not the rescue fairy tail a person hoped it would be...and I'll tell you, even with Toby, it was SO hard the first three months (still is some days). He still struggles with the outside world, but we are learning how to guide him and let him know "we've got this". And we'll, I love his soul, it is so open.

I always tell people who want to help rescues this: adopt, if you can't adopt - foster, if you can't foster - volunteer, if you can't volunteer - donate, and if you can't donate - use your voice to help give rescues a voice and to help all the new puppies coming into this world to be born ethically for all of us to enjoy

Great post. Such wise words.

Toby looks a different dog. How lucky he is to have found you.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lovely~! What a wonderful thread to start the morning with!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kelsey,

I echo what the others say. Toby is a really handsome boy and lucky he has you looking after him.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

He was a good looking guy before but man its a whole new dog now. I LOVED fostering beagles! It was really rewarding....especially since I ended up with a lot of mistreated hunting beagles who had never been inside a house before. Trying to remember oh even the microwave beeping or the sound of running water could freak a newbie out, learned that the hard way a time or two. But I have a big yard and more time at home then. So maybe I could foster cavaliers someday.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

What a precious boy. Im so happy for Toby and you
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Truly an amazing transformation! I'm happy for both of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    toby you are such a beautiful boy your mum is a wonderful person
    so give her loads of love and kisses