• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding an 8 week old Puppy

Pelempone

Hi Everyone,

I pick up Jemima on Friday - so excited.
I am becoming increasingly anxious about feeding her, however. The breeder has been giving her mince, veges, pasta.

We would like to continue to feed her homemade food, but I am unsure if she will need any supplements.

I will be using treats for her training.

So any advice on how much and how often I should feed her and whether I should add supplements to her food would be appreciated.

I just want to do the right thing.

Penny

Congratulations on your new addition!! This is such an exciting time!! :D You will have to post lots of pictures.

I had set in my head no treats for maggie..because they always ruind oliver. but i found some treats by blue buffalo that are healthy and seem to be fine with her. also.. her latest FAVORITE..its blue berries.
ive been rewarding her with these and lots of priase when she goes outside. its seemed to do the trick.

the food i don't have any advice on.. i feed maggie Acana. But im sure there are others on here that will be able to tell you.

Congratulations on your new addition!! This is such an exciting time!! :D You will have to post lots of pictures.

I had set in my head no treats for maggie..because they always ruind oliver. but i found some treats by blue buffalo that are healthy and seem to be fine with her. also.. her latest FAVORITE..its blue berries.
ive been rewarding her with these and lots of priase when she goes outside. its seemed to do the trick.

the food i don't have any advice on.. i feed maggie Acana. But im sure there are others on here that will be able to tell you.

You need to make sure your cavalier is getting appropriate nutrition and a mix of pasta, mince and vegetables is not nutritionally correct. I'd suggest for now, using a commercially prepared diet, whether raw, or otherwise -- or use nutritionist-approved homecooked recipes. It is really critical that a puppy get the nutrients it needs to avoid health and growth problems. (y)

Home preparing foods requires some knowledge of canine nutrition and a careful balance -- not just mixing some things together so you are right to be concerned about the current diet and to be thinking of options. :) Yes, you will need to learn about proper balance and supplements. Homecooked food isn't something to go into casually and needs some research and study. There is a wide variety of things you can do and we do have afundraiser CD of recipes; there are also some well-recognised books on preparing homecooked or raw diets. But please beware of following some of the suggestions on the internet as too often these are made by people with no proper knowledge of preparing balanced home diets.

Thanks for the replies.

I have done some research - google - and the brand of foods recommended that are available in Australia are Artemis, Eagle Pack Holistic or Canidae. All have a grain free variety of foods in their products.

So, I have decided to buy this for now until I can research more thoroughly about home cooked recipes.

I would hate to harm Jemima by feeding her the incorrect diet.

Penny

Last edited:
Back