Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Looks like Lucy has SM ;(

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Looks like Lucy has SM ;(

    Im absolutely gutted, ive been fearing the worst for a little while now so armed with videos of Lucy we went to the vets last night.

    Sadly my vet agreed with me & thinks Lucy does have SM. we have to go back next week for blood tests & then possibly an MRI.

    I asked what the blood test was for & he said it probably wouldn't show anything & was to see if Lucy would be able for steroids, I asked whether it would be better for Lucy to have the MRI first as if (& only if) she dosnt have SM then she wouldn't need the steroids anyway. His answer was 'MRIs are not the be a & end all' which wasnt really the answer I was looking for to be honest.

    So we're going back next week for the blood test & go from there.

    The reason we have to wait a week is because Lucy was given her kennel
    Cough vaccine last night.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sion, Switzerland
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Very sorry you are in this position. My little girl was just MRI'd this morning, and confirmed with SM.

    I don't know if it matters, but it seems as though "probable SM" is basically a definitive yes (at least for us).

    Can you try to get her on some kind of treatment regimen? Clare Rusbridge's treatment algorithm is on this site. http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

    Edit: is this a GP vet, or a specialist (neurologist or internist)? I would recommend getting a referral to a specialist if you haven't done so already.
    Last edited by Soushiruiuma; 15th January 2013 at 10:16 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    I'm so sorry to hear this.

    It makes sense for them to check for other possible causes and do blood tests, but I'd dig heels in on steroids.

    I spoke recently to a neurologist who noted that giving steroids in advance of an MRI can mask some conditions and make it more difficult to get a true MRI of the condition. And I'd emphasise to any treating vet or neurologist that Clare's algorithm suggest steroids ONLY after everything else has been tried. It is the medication with the most potential side effects.

    If you go for an MRI choose UCD or the place doing them down near Cork (Sins has more info in them) -- I'd avoid the other MRI facility in Dublin.

    Please stay in touch to let us know how things go.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork,Ireland.
    Posts
    2,563
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So sorry to hear this news..
    Definitely,don't agree to any medication until she's had the Mri scan.
    I would go for UCD or Gilabbey in Cork.
    The neurology dept in Gilabbey is headed by Jacques Penderis and Shane Guerin and you really couldn't be in safer hands.
    The Quality of their Mris is excellent and the standard of care for the dogs is superb.The reporting is also done by a top UK radiologist so you know exactly what you're dealing with.
    Sadly if you feel Lucy has a problem,an mri is pretty much the be all and end all..
    If you need anything,just get in touch.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So sorry another cavalier has to go through this. Let us know how the tests go.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

    BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    I think many of us have gone through a period of fearing the worse and trying to convince ourselves we are imagining things.

    I will keep my fingers crossed for you and Lucy.
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Sonia,
    I'm so sorry to read about Lucy. I hope you manage to get the MRI done sooner rather than later so that you can start her on the appropriate meds asap. Best of luck
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I am sorry to read about Lucy too, but what I want you to know is that even if SM is found it really isn't a doom and gloom scenario that it once was. Many of us have SM dogs who are receiving the treatment regime that suits them and their symptoms. My 10 year old boy is acting more like 5 or 6, despite having a very large syrinx.

    Of course I truly hope that SM is not the problem, but if it is I know that a suitable treatment is likely to be found.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks guys xxxxx

    Lucy is booked in for bloodwork on wednesday so will ask again to be referred for an MRI.

    Even if her vet is sure she has SM I want an MRI done as I want to know the extent of her illness..... So I may have to change vets.

    I wasnt happy with my vet on Monday as he tried to give her the KC vac with a needle in her neck untill I pulled her away from him & he told me Sparky is obese as I walked in the room - Sparky weighs 10.35kgs & has a very heavy/fluffy coat - after he put his hands on Sparky he did apologise & say that he's not overweight.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sion, Switzerland
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Thanks guys xxxxx

    Lucy is booked in for bloodwork on wednesday so will ask again to be referred for an MRI.

    Even if her vet is sure she has SM I want an MRI done as I want to know the extent of her illness..... So I may have to change vets.

    I wasnt happy with my vet on Monday as he tried to give her the KC vac with a needle in her neck untill I pulled her away from him & he told me Sparky is obese as I walked in the room - Sparky weighs 10.35kgs & has a very heavy/fluffy coat - after he put his hands on Sparky he did apologise & say that he's not overweight.
    Honestly, with the breed, wanting to have an MRI just to see what's there is not unreasonable. With symptoms it's basically necessary. There's really no reason why your vet should stand in the way if you want an MRI done (the only reasons not to would be your personal financial situation, or medical conditions that would make Lucy a bad candidate for anaesthesia/sedation).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •