• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looks like Lucy has SM ;(

Sparky loved his hug Chelle! Although he was a total brat at UCD yesterday & barked at me the whole time we were there collecting Lucy as he was tired & wanted to go home!!

Yes, I remember that your remarkable father was in the medical dept at UCD! I was really addressing that to the US members!

Pat

So, Lucy's MRI is coming up on Wednesday, shes been on the Gabapentin 100mg x2 for just over 2 weeks now & im pleased to say she hasnt had one pain episode, only a couple of very short fly-catching incidents which Im delighted with

At last you will have piece of mind sonia, i know myself i found immense relief, once the mri had been done, then you can get on with finding suitable treatment, thinking of you and your dear lucy, sending lots of licks and cuddles Karen.Ruby and Sadie :hug:

Good luck on Wednesday Sonia. It might be a good idea to check to see if UCD intend to keep her overnight after the MRI. When Bosco had his done they kept him which I wasn't expecting.

Good luck on Wednesday. Sometimes the wating is the hardest part, especially when you fear you already know the answer. We're all waiting with you though, so be sure to tell us the results.

Lucy spent the night in UCD for her MRI this morning, I miss her so much. They have a few MRI's to do today & told me they do the small dogs first so I'm hoping it wont be too long before she's back in my arms.
Sparkys loving the extra cuddles though!

Whatever the result, at least you'll know what is happening and can start working to make Lucy more comfortable. But waiting's no fun - is the weather good enough to take Sparky and Cass for a good walk?

:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks for your support everyone xxxxx

I have Lucy home (fast asleep on my lap!).

SM has been confirmed but shes not too bad, she has a syrinx at the base of her neck. I didnt get to see the MRI - apparently this isnt possible??? I asked to see images from it & the vet looked at me like I had 3 heads, she did say she might be able to email me some. I dont think seeing the MRI is unreasonable, I've spent over €1500 so far at UCD so I think the least they could do is show me what I've paid for. Maybe everyone isnt ad interested as me but I like to know everything!

We've agreed to keep Lucy on 100mg gapapentin x2 as she has responded well to this so far. Then I just have to monitor Lucy & go from there

Nag them! They should give you a disk with the full scan on it (all the different angles) so that you can show it to your vet and also take it with you if you consult a neurologist at any point. Your vet may be able to twist their arm, but it shouldn't need twisting - this is normal practice.

Sorry that Lucy has CM/SM but glad her syrinx isn't too bad. My Oliver's been living happily with a small syrinx for 5 years (though he has other symptoms from his CM), and it's only now, at age 11, that the syrinx is beginning to cause problems.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

When I had Bosco scanned I asked my vet for a copy of the report -which he gave me but was surprised that I asked for it. You're right -you've paid for the MRI and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask. Maybe they're not used to having educated pet owners!!

Agree: would politely ask for a CD of images. :) Sorry you got a confirmation of SM, but glad you are finding this moderate level of gabapentin is so helpful. :)

As the owner of the dog, and the funder of the scan you actually own the MRI data, and it should be provided to you if you want it in a format a normal computer can read, no questions asked.

I just received an email from the vets at UCD containing an image of Lucy's MRI.
According to the report with it Lucy has a small syrinx between C2&C3 vertebrae
betyrute.jpg

So sorry to read about Lucy,
No matter how prepared you are,it still comes as a bit of a shock.
It's good news that she's responding well to the medication.It's important to be able to see her scan,so you can visualise the situation and I'm a bit surprised you weren't shown this at your follow up appointment.I know she means the world you and she's been so lucky to find her home with you.
Give her a little hug from me,she's had a tough few weeks and must be fed up of vets.
Sins

Back