Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like Lucy has SM ;(

Post Thanks / Like

Off to the vets (again!) for Lucy's blood test armed with lots of info! Going to ask for a UCD referral before my vet tries to give her steroids!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

PM me if you want to talk about it later on. I really liked the people I dealt with at UCD when Jaspar had his ears syringed, and a very kind vet prof there did Lucy's postmortem for Margaret's tissue project. Best of luck today. You could ask to trial some gabapentin and see if that helps.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry about Lucy! I hope everything goes better for you all...By the way can i ask what UCD is?
    Ebru&Duses

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

University College Dublin, which has a vet school here in Ireland.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karlin, i thought it was something like MRI
    Ebru&Duses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    University College Dublin, which has a vet school here in Ireland.
    In the US, UCD would be the University of California - Davis. This is a very elite teaching vet school/hospital which is commonly referred to as UCD.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/index.cfm

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

True! Pat, I went to high school in Davis (my father was a Prof of Medicine at the med school) and I took some classes as well as UCD (and worked there for a bit too) -- so the UCD/UCD thing always makes family laugh. Friends in Davis love it when I tell them James Joyce attended UCD. He did! But in Dublin.

The vet school at Davis is one of the best in the world.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Karlin, I couldnt get online last night!
    So.... Yesterday Lucy had bloods done & I won my battle against my vet!! I was referred to UCD & went today (giving out made the ball roll quicker!!!).
    The vet I saw today agrees & is 99.9% sure Lucy does have SM 😥.
    She wants to do an MRI to be 100% so approval has been sent to my insurance holders & the MRI has been booked for Feb 13th.
    She also started Lucy on 100mg gabapentin x2 daily which will be reviewed when we go for the MRI.

I feel much better & much more in control now after everything, obviously Im not happy that my baby has SM but we're well on the road to helping her cope with it.

Thank you so much everyone for all your support, I hope that I can do the same if anyone needs it xxxxxxxxxxx
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Sorry Karlin, I couldnt get online last night!
    So.... Yesterday Lucy had bloods done & I won my battle against my vet!! I was referred to UCD & went today (giving out made the ball roll quicker!!!).
    The vet I saw today agrees & is 99.9% sure Lucy does have SM .
    She wants to do an MRI to be 100% so approval has been sent to my insurance holders & the MRI has been booked for Feb 13th.
    She also started Lucy on 100mg gabapentin x2 daily which will be reviewed when we go for the MRI.

I feel much better & much more in control now after everything, obviously Im not happy that my baby has SM but we're well on the road to helping her cope with it.

Thank you so much everyone for all your support, I hope that I can do the same if anyone needs it xxxxxxxxxxx
    That's great. The MRI and diagnosis do not change the dog, if Lucy has CM/SM it was already there. So even though getting a CM?SM diagnosis is bad, it's better than just letting her suffer.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only seeing this now Sonia Poor Lucy -but at least you have the MRI date and the knowledge from everyone on here to help. Give her a big hug from us (and of course Rex sends Sparky a special hug ) xx