• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cavalier puppy - housetraing issues

Meital

We have a 13 week old cavalier ruby pup. We have been diligent with crating, taking him out often but he continues to pee when we are not looking.
It is often after play. He will go out and come in and pee. Please give suggestions to correct this behavior. Are we expecting too much? Books we read say a puppy his age should be able to be trained. Thanks.

Hi -- I gave you some information and links already on your initial intro post so be sure to check that. :)

Your key phrase is "not looking" and the key point here is -- if he is under 100% supervision, and always watched and at arm's length, he shouldn't have the opportunity to go. You do need to take him out and remain out til he goes. If he doesn't, he goes back into his crate. I gave you a link for Ian Dunbar's book and other training links which will give you more detailed information. Puppies can start housetraining from far younger than this -- but it generally takes MANY weeks/months and excellent kind supervision and training from owners to eventually have a housetrained dog. It is too much to expect the equivalent of a toddler to figure it all out at this age. If he has the opportunity to go inside, then he is not being supervised closely enough and is being given too much free rein to move about as he pleases. (y).

I've moved this new thread to the puppy questions/training section as you already had an intro post made. :)

Your intitial intro and my original answer on housetraining is here: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?42734-New-Ruby-Cavalier-Approx-12-weeks-old

This was my original answer to you:

Hi and welcome!

The first thing to do: download the FREE book, After You Get Your Puppy, by famed international trainer Dr Ian Dunbar.

www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

This will take you through every possible issue that will arise over your first year of owning a new dog :D, including housetraining, and gives training advice that will greatly help you end up with the adult dog you want. The puppy year is a critical time where behaviours, fears, and relationships are set and once set, are far more difficult to alter in an adult dog. So take advantage of this exciting period!

I also have links pinned to the top of the training section for great training sites that also offer advice. It really is best to read what all these excellent trainers have to say and get detailed expert advice. (y)

The very basics are:

NEVER punish your puppy, keep him under 100% supervision 100% of the time or else contained (eg in his crate, but never for long periods as a puppy cannot hold itself long), forget using puppy pads which simply mean you have to housetrain twice (ugh!), bring him outside every time he wakes, after every meal or drink, after naps or exercise, before bedtime, and initially, you will need to take him out at around 3-4am as well -- for young pups (yours may now be old enough to sleep through the night without needing a potty break); have excellent tiny treats for rewards and use well timed praise, praise, praise. And have enzymatic cleaner on hand for cleanups (soap and water will NOT be enough). Expect many weeks of training; do not fall into the trap of having a week or two of no accidents and believing you have a housetrained puppy! That's easily, the number one mistake every owner makes :lol:. Despite what the books say, almost nobody ends up with a housetrained puppy in less than a couple of month's work. Most puppies are perhaps 80-90% reliable by around 6-7 months. Most are mostly housetrained by one year. Accidents are to be expected throughout your dog's life and especially on and off in the first year (so don't ever leave a dog alone and unsupervised anywhere you do not want furniture/floors 'accidented' upon! :lol:

Ian Dunbar's setup is in my opinion, the best and the best method (and you will see, illustrated with a cavalier :) ).

Be aware that if there isn't someone at home all day in especially in the first few weeks of housetraining (eg people are out at work and puppy is left alone) the housetraining process will take weeks to months longer and depending on how alone a dog is left, the pup may even not ever be fully reliable. As I am sure you know, cavaliers are indoor dogs, not outdoor dogs, and also are frequent easy targets for thieves, so leaving a dog especially a puppy outside alone all day is never a viable option for a responsible owner. (y)

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I have ordered the book you mentioned through the library. We will reduce his playing area. Thanks for the feedback and support.

Basic rule if puppy is not within arms reach, puppy should be in his/her space. I used a small x-pen area, but at my parents house and at work (I took my puppy to work with me) I used a baby pack and play.........you can buy them all day long for second hand stores for cheap. I found it was perfect size for a cavalier puppy. Plus they fold up and can travel easily.

Back