• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Misha August 1, 1996 - November 16, 2012

MishathePooh

Misha, Soulmate and Companion of the Heart

I remember seeing him for the first time at a little log cabin in the quaint town of Sewickly. The house was off the beaten path, tucked into the gorgeous, snowy woods of Pennsylvania. We were greeted first by an entourage of bitches, barking and wagging at the newcomers. There was the matriarch, the eldest but most dignified. And the younger bitches whose pups I had come to see. The puppies were all Cavalier – inquisitive, sweet, a bit shy and obviously lovers. My 13 year old eyes gaped at the small passel of puppies, but the lone tricolor emerged with an unparalleled joie de vivre. He moved with an almost cartoonish animation, skittering across the floor as puppies do from one new face to another. His corybantic behavior and enthusiastic tail made his liquid amber brown eyes and freckled, smiling face all the more endearing. Aquila’s Sunshine’s Daydream, or Misha as I came to call him, wagged his way right into my heart that day.

Of course we were to bring him home as soon as possible. I still vividly remember that car ride. Although I had a seatbelt for him, he was so young and a bit afraid, so instead I held him the whole way home. Actually, I believe it was he who held me. He wrapped his front paws around my neck and put his tiny muzzle on my shoulder and just hugged me. From that moment on, we were inseparable. The world was full of surprises for both of us, but together we met and conquered each challenge. We were both young and rash, but somehow we not only survived, but thrived in each other’s company.

We would travel much of the United States together, exploring each beautiful land side-by-side. We visited relatives in Washington DC less than 3 months after we brought him home. The cherry blossoms were gorgeous that year, pink and full. The winds would carry the giant petaled snowflakes as they gently fell to earth. Misha trotted gaily by my side, savoring each new scent as if it had been gift wrapped and placed just for him. There would be many, many more trips after this first one. We would go as far south as New Orleans, Louisiana and as far north as Cape Cod, Massachusetts. We would hike wherever we went, through gorges, mountains, forest, creek, plain or beach. Misha was spirited and spry, leaping across boulders, plunging through streams, tearing through any trail we traveled.

We not only vacationed in distant areas, but also romped about round our hometown just about everywhere together. He came shopping with me, babysitting, to friend’s and family’s houses and of course to the parks. Perhaps partly because of his ubiquitousness, and undoubtly due in large part to his personality, Misha developed an adoring public wherever he went. You see, as Misha became an adult, he would not show his affections to just anyone. He always presented as calm and regal, with a slight distain to anyone who did not bring him an offering of tasty morsels. He would let anyone pet him of course, but without an offering, he would glare disapprovingly from on high. This behavior served to only make him more comical and lovable at times. People at our most frequented places would always ask after him, or run up to feed or pat him. Be it a crowd full of people or desolate trails, Misha was just happy to be with me, always.

As I grew up, I ended up falling in love with another human and Misha was none too pleased at first. At the beginning, Misha decided that he absolutely did not want to share me. He would glare, and bark and stomp his grinchy feet. When my partner sat on the couch, he would whine until she moved and then promptly take her place. He had always been devious and scheming which would get him what he wanted, but the following is perhaps the ultimate example of his trickery. Whenever my partner would step on him, he would scream something terribly. I would immediately pick him up and coddle him and make my partner give him gentle pets to assuage him. She would absolutely insist that she had not stepped on him, which I found rather odd. This went on for months until I saw her step about a foot away from Misha and he screamed something fierce. But I had seen it, the ruse was up! He had not ever been stepped on at all! After being caught in the act, he never yelped again.

Although he was cunning and deceitful at times, my boy was really quite the love. He never left my side in all my time with him, except perhaps once. Misha, my partner and I went to her childhood home so we could say one last farewell to her childhood dog Wyatt. During the first night without Wyatt, Misha curled right against Gwynne and stayed glued to her for the next 24 hours. He had not done this with anyone before and would not do it again. He knew she needed him, and he offered her all the love he had.

Misha’s great heart was just one of the so many endearing qualities he shared. He was the ultimate companion, not only providing love, but also endless amusement whenever we needed a laugh. He would snore like a freight train at times, stomp on your face to wake you up in the morning if the whining and snorting didn’t work, roll about on the carpet until he had Einstein fur, and my favorite of all was his nesting. Misha would make perfect nests daily to sleep in, his favorite nesting material being clothing. He would drag clothes around with quick scraping motions of his grinchies, then fling them up in the air with his nose, finally moving them delicately with his mouth. He pulled clean clothes off the shelves and dirty clothes out of laundry baskets. We have found underwear flung to the top of a bookcase. But the most hilarious was seeing him wandering around with underwear wrapped around him like some sort of ridiculous clothing. Living with Misha was like having our own live in comedian.

Because Misha came to me when I was just 13 years old, he was by my side through milestones too numerous to count. He was with me through 2 hospitalizations, both of which he visited me at the hospital, learning to drive, first love, coming out, first heartbreak, first apartment and my weddings. He even was the ring bearer at both. The first a local ceremony for family and friends, the second a small legal ceremony on a Massachusetts beach with only Misha, my partner, an officiant friend and a photographer friend. Even aside from the major milestones, we had so much fun together participating in everything from dog showing to volunteering at nursing homes to traveling the country together and I truly realized from the start, how blessed my life was.

Even when he was 13, Misha looked so young and handsome. He could still nearly catch squirrels and bunnies, jump over 4 foot baby gates, scale furniture to get to food and walk for miles with me. I always thought he would live forever. Time is both a blessing and a curse though, giving and taking as it flows. My boy eventually started to slow, just ever so slightly at first. I helped him in any way I could think, cooking him special food, buying him a memory foam bed, building ramps up to the couch and bed and finally putting the mattress on the floor for him. One beautiful fall day when he was 16, he told me he was ready to pass on, if only I had the courage to let him go. My beautiful boy had given me every ounce of himself, so I could not be selfish at the end. He had a two week feast of canned food, fresh cooked lamb, chicken and beef and all sorts of treats. And then his favorite – fast food and pizza. I told him how much he meant to me and how much I loved him. And then we said our final farewells. Although I ache for his soft, silky fur, his soulful brown eyes, his many opinions and so much more, there is a small comfort in knowing that he truly will live forever in my heart.

398080_10102554741644185_424481154_n.jpg

Five months old.

396164_10102554734174155_1575437205_n.jpg

9 months old

735172_10102554738670145_881348024_n.jpg

1 year old

530569_10102554738700085_1359602610_n.jpg

3 years old

320999_10102554769707945_583565325_n.jpg

8 years old

480391_10102554742622225_1374889169_n.jpg

2007, age 11

408729_10102554741699075_79575889_n.jpg

His 13th birthday.

431481_10102554767966435_1890313539_n.jpg

Wedding, age 14

47038_10102554743939585_1058614685_n.jpg

15th birthday

480256_10102554790316645_872003751_n.jpg

16 years old

Last edited:
There are no words to express how sorry I was to read this news. I have always enjoyed your stories and pictures of your beautiful Misha. You wrote a lovely tribute to him. To love and be loved by such a wonderful dog from childhood to adulthood is a gift not many get to have. Both of you were very fortunate to have been together for 16 wonderful years.

Run free Misha. RIP

Last edited:
Just wanted to share this with you.

I Loved You Best
-Jim Willis 2002

So this is where we part, My Friend,
and you'll run on, around the bend,
gone from sight, but not from mind,
new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
but they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
take with you this...I loved you best.​

I'm so sorry you lost lovely Misha. I always enjoyed your photos of him and his exploits. It's wonderful that you had 16 years with him.

So sorry, I always enjoyed reading about Misha and his photo's. My heart is breaking for you:( Misha will be in your heart and your memories forever.

I'm so sad and sorry you have lost Misha. What a wonderful, eloquent tribute you have written about him -- it certainly captures your deep love for each other and the fun and antics you both got up to over the years. You truly had a relationship to treasure -- such a special cavalier. :) And he always looked so young!

Misha certainly was a dog for the ages. How wonderful to have had the experience of having a soulmate and your true heart's companion. Out of all the things you wrote about that you will miss, the thing that struck me the most is that you wwill miss his opinions. I love that. Go in peace Misha. You were loved and still are loved.

What a lovely tribute, the relationship you had with Misha was perfect, it was so nice to read about your life together, and something i hope i can have with my two companions, its just something so special that connection we have with them. He was a handsome boy, and he was very lucky to have such a devoted mummy!!!! Sending you all my deepest condolences. Karen,Ruby and Sadie x:flwr:

I am so very very sorry to read this about your beautiful boy. You have written a stunning tribute. Ive loved seeing his photo's pop up in the Misha thread.

Thinking of you at this sad time.

Mel XXXX

I think Misha was special to many of us on here. Thank you for sharing him with us.

I think it was Nicki that sent this poem to me when Monty died.

If it should be ...

If it be I grow frail and weak,
And pain should wake me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad, I’ll understand,
Don’t let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We’ve had so many happy years,
What is to come will hold no fears,
You’ll not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

I know in time, you too will see,
It is a kindness you do me,
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering, I’ve been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you,
Who has to decide this thing to do
We’ve been so close, we two, these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

You loss is profound, and your trubute to your sweet pet is beautiful. I'm glad you can celebrate the time you did share with Misha. He sure was a look looking guy. I love the pictures, I'm sure you will treasure them forever just as you will his memory.

I was so sorry to read that Misha had passed away.
What a wonderful cavalier and true friend.
Sins

I am so sorry to hear about Misha, what a lovely tribute to him. He was lucky to be so loved by you.
Run free sweet Misha

I'm so sorry to hear about Misha. I know he was an incredibly important part of your life, and that he will be missed. He was certainly an inspiring cavalier to have on the forum, so bright in his golden years.

What a poetic and beautiful tribute to a very special boy.

I know your loss is great, but I hope that someday you can give that love to another.

Back