Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holding it through the night

Post Thanks / Like

Default holding it through the night

just wondering at what age a cavalier can hold it through the night?

i ask because both the breeder and maggies sisters owner say that now..at 15 weeks they should be able to hold it.

im late in the game to taking her out at night..because i was using pee pads inside and out. and have now switched to grass. she still has an ermerg pad in her crate at night, (she has a kennel in a large crate) however that pad has been used once in the 2 weeks..its been dry. so on tuesday..if theres been no more accidents im removing it permiently.

i have been tkaing her out at least once a night..and as i posted before she usallly gets mad at me lol. but she dose go.

because shes been doing soo good the last two weeks..i dont want to stop taking her out..and regress..know what i mean?

last night..was the first night that shes acutaly just come up to me both times i took her out..without me having to drag her outa bed. she walked up and went pee both times i took her out.

she has even started holding her poop till moring THANK GOD....that was disgusting (shes got very very smelly poops..have that in a closed off bedroom..ugh. )

so..are they right..will she be okay till mornig? myself...i get up for my own bladder 2-3 times a night

oh and before you say 'shell ask you'...she dosnt ask. ever. eve if there is no pad in the crate.
    infact..shes even gone in her bed befor. everyone says they dont. i love my girl. but she seems to have no shame.

side note..i take her into my bed for a snuggle beore i put her i her crate every night. lastnight she fell asleep while i messed around on my phone for a hour or two.
    i didnt want to take her to her crate. it remidned me of oliver snuggles (he would occasionaly sleep on my bed circumstances depending..if we were up island at our beach trailer or the rents were away)
    i cant WAIT till shes fully trained and we can do this again.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Chelsea- I read in a few places that pups could usually have the muscle control to hold it by 16 weeks old. Not sure about that............"they" say you cannot potty train a child under 2 years old either and all mine were so I took that info with a grain of salt. I think it all depends on each dog. If you are taking her and she goes maybe just try to space out those times a little each night and see.

I still do not have Fletcher in our bed at night. Shhhhhhhh don't tell but sometimes when I fall asleep on the sofa I just stay there so I can keep Fletcher with me
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha. I'm having a rest right now. So sleepy. I'm letting her rest in bed with me.
    Back in the day it would be max and Meeko on either side and Oliver at my feet. I couldn't move.
    Took them forgranted.
    Meekos still around and has no interest in my room. Simba really wants to but is so annoying I can't. So he's just not aloud in the bedroom. He's uber mad Maggie gets to lol. (ATM Simbas crying outside my door)

16 weeks. Hm!
    My coworker said to take it all with a grain of salt and do what works best for us.
    Neither Maggie or I particularly like getting up. But are both really quick at falling asleep again so it's nbd. And I don't think she can hold it that long. I know I can't. I'm 2-3 times a night lol.

She made it 5 hours once. I got up to get ready for work. Wasn't outa the room 2 minutes when I heard her. Didnt get back to her quick enough. So it's been roughly 4 hours or so. Whenever I wake up. :S

Post Thanks / Like

We brought BellaMia home at 12 weeks and she has slept through the night ever since. She is crate trained. We bring her out for a last pee at 10pm and she wakes up about 5-6 am. I've never used the pee pads.....I started her immediately to go outside. We have had accidents inside, but so far none for the last 5 weeks and she will go to the door to let me know when she needs to go. But this, by any stretch of the imagination, means I trust her her!
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I have had Jemima 2 nights. She is just 8 weeks old.

The first night she woke once about 3am.

I put her to bed last night about 10pm. I woke this morning at 5, thinking "I didn't wake up for Jemima, and fully expecting a wet and messy bed.

Nothing. Bed completely dry. I took her outside and she did a wee and a poo.

I'm certainly not expecting this every night, but it looks like a good start.

Penny

Post Thanks / Like

We had jazz from 9weeks, from the first night I set up her bed in her crate fully expecting that she may have an accident. I figured that the max I could hope for would be 6 hours, so she'd go out just before midnight and then I'd get up at 6 to take her out again....and she never had an accident in her crate. Gradually we extended the time by half and hour every few days and we soon realised that we were going be be very lucky!!!!

she now sleeps on our bed, she came on from about 6 months and I confess we've had a couple of accidents but on both occasions they were our fault - I thought the other half had put her out, he thought I had - and even then, the accident happened when we were playing with her, not in the middle of the night!!

im not sure how much jazz is a one off, but sometimes when we get up in the morning, she won't have a pee for an hour or so.... She must have a huge bladder!
    Nicki
    Proud owner of Jazz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some puppies are fine by 8-10 weeks. By 15 weeks most are well past the time they can hold themselves but it sometimes depends on how previous training has gone (eg consistency).

Generally puppy owners do need to set an alarm to go out for the first couple of weeks to be sure -- for around 3-4am usually is good. Many puppies won't ask to go out and many people sleep more heavily than would hear a puppy. Once a puppy soils its bed or crate a few times because they weren't taken out, this can really screw up crate and housetraining so best advice is: lose the sleep at the start and save on housetraining time later on!

Once again: all this kind of information is in After You Get Your Puppy, the *free* book download from well known trainer Dr Ian Dunbar:

www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

No puppy owner should be without this. It is very helpful to have tis to hand both to read through completely once, and then for regular referral as it does answer almost all training questions with the best expert advice.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's free? Awesome. Going for it now ! Haha

Yes she went pee in her crate lastnight Sometime between 11:30-3:30. Last time she went out was 10:30

I took her out anyways. Didnt need to go

Took her out again around 6, as I heard her stir. looked up and she was watching me. went both.
    I think I'll continue the every few hours thing at least for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gosh I really would not advise taking out a puppy this old all night long every few hours -- or she is then being trained to expect to go out, or to expect to get attention from you every could of hours -- not using the one opportunity she might need to go. And so hard on you! At this age she shouldn't need to go at all -- really most don't need to go out after 10-12 weeks max. If she is wetting in a crate, I'd check with the vet about possible UTIs first off. :thmsbup: These are far more common in female puppies and may be why she has to keep going all night and would also wet in a crate.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

ive downloaded that book.
    Ill check with the vet. we are going in for her shotsthis week.
    is there a 'cut off time' you recomend for water? she drinks a lot. even my grandpa who lookeda fter oliver and had a dog of his own..said she drinks a lot. maybe that is part of the problem?
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea