• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

holding it through the night

Super Princess

just wondering at what age a cavalier can hold it through the night?

i ask because both the breeder and maggies sisters owner say that now..at 15 weeks they should be able to hold it.

im late in the game to taking her out at night..because i was using pee pads inside and out. and have now switched to grass. she still has an ermerg pad in her crate at night, (she has a kennel in a large crate) however that pad has been used once in the 2 weeks..its been dry. so on tuesday..if theres been no more accidents im removing it permiently.

i have been tkaing her out at least once a night..and as i posted before she usallly gets mad at me lol. but she dose go.

because shes been doing soo good the last two weeks..i dont want to stop taking her out..and regress..know what i mean?

last night..was the first night that shes acutaly just come up to me both times i took her out..without me having to drag her outa bed. she walked up and went pee both times i took her out.

she has even started holding her poop till moring THANK GOD....that was disgusting (shes got very very smelly poops..have that in a closed off bedroom..ugh. )

so..are they right..will she be okay till mornig? myself...i get up for my own bladder 2-3 times a night

oh and before you say 'shell ask you'...she dosnt ask. ever. eve if there is no pad in the crate.
infact..shes even gone in her bed befor. everyone says they dont. i love my girl. but she seems to have no shame.

side note..i take her into my bed for a snuggle beore i put her i her crate every night. lastnight she fell asleep while i messed around on my phone for a hour or two.
i didnt want to take her to her crate. it remidned me of oliver snuggles (he would occasionaly sleep on my bed circumstances depending..if we were up island at our beach trailer or the rents were away)
i cant WAIT till shes fully trained and we can do this again.

Chelsea- I read in a few places that pups could usually have the muscle control to hold it by 16 weeks old. Not sure about that............"they" say you cannot potty train a child under 2 years old either and all mine were so I took that info with a grain of salt. I think it all depends on each dog. If you are taking her and she goes maybe just try to space out those times a little each night and see.

I still do not have Fletcher in our bed at night. Shhhhhhhh don't tell but sometimes when I fall asleep on the sofa I just stay there so I can keep Fletcher with me :)

Hahaha. I'm having a rest right now. So sleepy. I'm letting her rest in bed with me.
Back in the day it would be max and Meeko on either side and Oliver at my feet. I couldn't move.
Took them forgranted.
Meekos still around and has no interest in my room. Simba really wants to but is so annoying I can't. So he's just not aloud in the bedroom. He's uber mad Maggie gets to lol. (ATM Simbas crying outside my door)

16 weeks. Hm!
My coworker said to take it all with a grain of salt and do what works best for us.
Neither Maggie or I particularly like getting up. But are both really quick at falling asleep again so it's nbd. And I don't think she can hold it that long. I know I can't. I'm 2-3 times a night lol.

She made it 5 hours once. I got up to get ready for work. Wasn't outa the room 2 minutes when I heard her. Didnt get back to her quick enough. So it's been roughly 4 hours or so. Whenever I wake up. :S

We brought BellaMia home at 12 weeks and she has slept through the night ever since. She is crate trained. We bring her out for a last pee at 10pm and she wakes up about 5-6 am. I've never used the pee pads.....I started her immediately to go outside. We have had accidents inside, but so far none for the last 5 weeks and she will go to the door to let me know when she needs to go. But this, by any stretch of the imagination, means I trust her her!

I have had Jemima 2 nights. She is just 8 weeks old.

The first night she woke once about 3am.

I put her to bed last night about 10pm. I woke this morning at 5, thinking "I didn't wake up for Jemima, and fully expecting a wet and messy bed.

Nothing. Bed completely dry. I took her outside and she did a wee and a poo.

I'm certainly not expecting this every night, but it looks like a good start.

Penny

We had jazz from 9weeks, from the first night I set up her bed in her crate fully expecting that she may have an accident. I figured that the max I could hope for would be 6 hours, so she'd go out just before midnight and then I'd get up at 6 to take her out again....and she never had an accident in her crate. Gradually we extended the time by half and hour every few days and we soon realised that we were going be be very lucky!!!!

she now sleeps on our bed, she came on from about 6 months and I confess we've had a couple of accidents but on both occasions they were our fault - I thought the other half had put her out, he thought I had - and even then, the accident happened when we were playing with her, not in the middle of the night!!

im not sure how much jazz is a one off, but sometimes when we get up in the morning, she won't have a pee for an hour or so.... She must have a huge bladder!

Some puppies are fine by 8-10 weeks. By 15 weeks most are well past the time they can hold themselves but it sometimes depends on how previous training has gone (eg consistency).

Generally puppy owners do need to set an alarm to go out for the first couple of weeks to be sure -- for around 3-4am usually is good. Many puppies won't ask to go out and many people sleep more heavily than would hear a puppy. Once a puppy soils its bed or crate a few times because they weren't taken out, this can really screw up crate and housetraining so best advice is: lose the sleep at the start and save on housetraining time later on! :D

Once again: all this kind of information is in After You Get Your Puppy, the *free* book download from well known trainer Dr Ian Dunbar:

www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

No puppy owner should be without this. It is very helpful to have tis to hand both to read through completely once, and then for regular referral as it does answer almost all training questions with the best expert advice. :)

It's free? Awesome. Going for it now ! Haha

Yes she went pee in her crate lastnight Sometime between 11:30-3:30. Last time she went out was 10:30

I took her out anyways. Didnt need to go

Took her out again around 6, as I heard her stir. looked up and she was watching me. went both.
I think I'll continue the every few hours thing at least for now.

Gosh I really would not advise taking out a puppy this old all night long every few hours -- or she is then being trained to expect to go out, or to expect to get attention from you every could of hours -- not using the one opportunity she might need to go. And so hard on you! At this age she shouldn't need to go at all -- really most don't need to go out after 10-12 weeks max. If she is wetting in a crate, I'd check with the vet about possible UTIs first off. :thmsbup: These are far more common in female puppies and may be why she has to keep going all night and would also wet in a crate.

ive downloaded that book.
Ill check with the vet. we are going in for her shotsthis week.
is there a 'cut off time' you recomend for water? she drinks a lot. even my grandpa who lookeda fter oliver and had a dog of his own..said she drinks a lot. maybe that is part of the problem?

I let Lady sleep with me since taking her home at 8 weeks. However, I am very light sleeper and as soon as I heard her stirring, I would get up and take her out or use pee-pads. I used pee pads in the house with her until she was probably around 4 months old, but I also kept pee pads outside too so she knew where to go. I didn't have to "re-train" her without using the pads, i just slowly phased them out and she had very very few accidents inside. Like you, I get up at least once a night to use the washroom anyway, so when I got up I would let her go as well but it was generally only once a night. I kept this up until she was around 5-6 months. Now she sleeps through the night, but on weekends when I like to sleep in, she'll usually wake up around 7-8 to go pee then she comes back to bed.

And about the water, I don't think it's a huge issue to take away water an hour or so before bed time. If she drinks a lot during the day I doubt you'd be dehydrating her or anything...

I let Lady sleep with me since taking her home at 8 weeks. However, I am very light sleeper and as soon as I heard her stirring, I would get up and take her out or use pee-pads. I used pee pads in the house with her until she was probably around 4 months old, but I also kept pee pads outside too so she knew where to go. I didn't have to "re-train" her without using the pads, i just slowly phased them out and she had very very few accidents inside. Like you, I get up at least once a night to use the washroom anyway, so when I got up I would let her go as well but it was generally only once a night. I kept this up until she was around 5-6 months. Now she sleeps through the night, but on weekends when I like to sleep in, she'll usually wake up around 7-8 to go pee then she comes back to bed.

And about the water, I don't think it's a huge issue to take away water an hour or so before bed time. If she drinks a lot during the day I doubt you'd be dehydrating her or anything...

oh i forgot where i posted this lol.
its a relief to hear someone say something like this. sounds A LOT like us right now. Ive been so proud of how shes doing..
i did the same thing..pee pads in and outside. pee pad outside is completly gone and she uses the grass. and i took pee pad in her crate out 2 nights ago..first night it was fine. she asked to go out and i jumped right up and out we went...thing is her asking(which is a new hting for her..makes me proud) is sooo quiet..
and last night i was going to see if she could make it all night. like people were saying..however .she drunk a lot more before bed(she was panting..something she dosnt usually do) and between 11-3 am she had a big pee in her crate where the pad used to be :( frusterating. im not sure if she 'quietly asked' and i missed it.
so i think..last night she needed the water, but i might start taking it away an hour or so before bed.

however she is holding in her poop untill we go outside..which is great.

id loveeeee her to sleep in my bed ive been waiting till shes trained. im a light sleeper as well.. im nervous that ill wake up in a puddle of pee..lol but i wonder if that would work more then having her in her crate? if id wake up easier? hmmm. something to ponder.

I have a puppy she's almost nine weeks old. Out of sleep deprivation I went to the library yesterday and robbed it of all books puppy related. I double checked that they were all saying something consistent and i'm happy to say that we both slept really well last night. The books say to take away their water and food bowls a couple of hours before bedtime. I took away her dinner bowl as soon as she was done eating her water bowl I tried to take away but then she kept seeking it out so I gave her more to drink but I then moved bedtime back and waited for her to go pee twice after her water was gone. I then put her on my dresser thats pretty much at eye level with my pillows on my bed in her little portable crate. I put last nights pajama top in the crate with her whelping blanket the breeder sent home and her soft blanket I bought for her and one chew toy. she stayed awake for a good hour while I was reading and then with the lights off I heard her moving around and talked to her when she started to whimper but she eventually went to sleep and I was the one that woke her up six hours later. We went straight to the puppy pad I carried her there and she went pee and poo like a good girl. Three of the books say that this is the way to do it. My breeder sent me an email confirming that it's okay to take away their food and water at night as long as she has plenty during the day.

Back