Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: holding it through the night

Post Thanks / Like

I let Lady sleep with me since taking her home at 8 weeks. However, I am very light sleeper and as soon as I heard her stirring, I would get up and take her out or use pee-pads. I used pee pads in the house with her until she was probably around 4 months old, but I also kept pee pads outside too so she knew where to go. I didn't have to "re-train" her without using the pads, i just slowly phased them out and she had very very few accidents inside. Like you, I get up at least once a night to use the washroom anyway, so when I got up I would let her go as well but it was generally only once a night. I kept this up until she was around 5-6 months. Now she sleeps through the night, but on weekends when I like to sleep in, she'll usually wake up around 7-8 to go pee then she comes back to bed.

And about the water, I don't think it's a huge issue to take away water an hour or so before bed time. If she drinks a lot during the day I doubt you'd be dehydrating her or anything...
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpell009 View Post
    I let Lady sleep with me since taking her home at 8 weeks. However, I am very light sleeper and as soon as I heard her stirring, I would get up and take her out or use pee-pads. I used pee pads in the house with her until she was probably around 4 months old, but I also kept pee pads outside too so she knew where to go. I didn't have to "re-train" her without using the pads, i just slowly phased them out and she had very very few accidents inside. Like you, I get up at least once a night to use the washroom anyway, so when I got up I would let her go as well but it was generally only once a night. I kept this up until she was around 5-6 months. Now she sleeps through the night, but on weekends when I like to sleep in, she'll usually wake up around 7-8 to go pee then she comes back to bed.

And about the water, I don't think it's a huge issue to take away water an hour or so before bed time. If she drinks a lot during the day I doubt you'd be dehydrating her or anything...
    oh i forgot where i posted this lol.
    its a relief to hear someone say something like this. sounds A LOT like us right now. Ive been so proud of how shes doing..
    i did the same thing..pee pads in and outside. pee pad outside is completly gone and she uses the grass. and i took pee pad in her crate out 2 nights ago..first night it was fine. she asked to go out and i jumped right up and out we went...thing is her asking(which is a new hting for her..makes me proud) is sooo quiet..
    and last night i was going to see if she could make it all night. like people were saying..however .she drunk a lot more before bed(she was panting..something she dosnt usually do) and between 11-3 am she had a big pee in her crate where the pad used to be frusterating. im not sure if she 'quietly asked' and i missed it.
    so i think..last night she needed the water, but i might start taking it away an hour or so before bed.

however she is holding in her poop untill we go outside..which is great.

id loveeeee her to sleep in my bed ive been waiting till shes trained. im a light sleeper as well.. im nervous that ill wake up in a puddle of pee..lol but i wonder if that would work more then having her in her crate? if id wake up easier? hmmm. something to ponder.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

I have a puppy she's almost nine weeks old. Out of sleep deprivation I went to the library yesterday and robbed it of all books puppy related. I double checked that they were all saying something consistent and i'm happy to say that we both slept really well last night. The books say to take away their water and food bowls a couple of hours before bedtime. I took away her dinner bowl as soon as she was done eating her water bowl I tried to take away but then she kept seeking it out so I gave her more to drink but I then moved bedtime back and waited for her to go pee twice after her water was gone. I then put her on my dresser thats pretty much at eye level with my pillows on my bed in her little portable crate. I put last nights pajama top in the crate with her whelping blanket the breeder sent home and her soft blanket I bought for her and one chew toy. she stayed awake for a good hour while I was reading and then with the lights off I heard her moving around and talked to her when she started to whimper but she eventually went to sleep and I was the one that woke her up six hours later. We went straight to the puppy pad I carried her there and she went pee and poo like a good girl. Three of the books say that this is the way to do it. My breeder sent me an email confirming that it's okay to take away their food and water at night as long as she has plenty during the day.