• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Proud New Dad

FASDOG1

I had researched months for a new dog now that my wife and I are retired, it was a toss up between a Pug or a Cav leaning towards a Cav. I also researched a rescue one only to find out less than a mile from me there was a breeder. I contacted him and he had a 6 month old pup that he wanted to sell before he started bothering his females and his male dog would not like that. Well we got him for a few hours to see what we thought and he was so calm and lovable we could not return him, so needles to say we purchased him from the breeder. We have now had him for almost a month, I am working on sit, stay, and recall in the house. I do not let him off lead because he will chase after everything that blows by in the wind. I let him off once and had a time getting him to come back, so that took care of that. The breeder only had his first puppy shots so we got him to the vet and took care of shots, we also had him fixed, first booster and second one next month. I am finding a wealth of information on this forum, which I really like. We have one real bad habit that we created he sleeps with us at night, we have been told that this is bad to do but he settles in between us and sleeps all night what a love he is. House training is coming alone with a few slips now and then. He is a grazer on his food and eats later in the day, I tried taking it away and giving it in the morning but that did not work, so any suggestions will be help. Thank you all for any advice you may give me.

I'm still a new cavalier owner, I got Fletcher at 12 weeks old last April (he will be 1 Feb 16th). Fletcher was the first puppy I have ever raised tho I have owned dogs all my adult life. I have found this forum to be my life line in owning a cavalier, so you are in the right place. :) So congrads on your new furbaby, what's his name and color? I don't mean to sound like a brat but there is some info you need to know. First, if you have not already get pet insurance RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like now.... I say that because a few "red flags" popped up for me about your breeder. Breeding cavaliers is serious, they suffer from several serious medical conditions (please check out the site www.cavalierhealth.com ) and this site the more educated you are the better. Again, I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway....you obviously love this puppy and I'm sure you want to care for him in the best way possible. I'm sorry but it sounds like your pup did not have the best cavalier start so just know what you are getting into. When I learned about all these things (from this site) I was heartbroken....I think anyone who loves a cavalier should become a spokes-person for the breed.

Search this site for Ian Dunbar's book After You Get Your Puppy (a free download book) its a VERY important book, you will all the answers to all your questions there. Free feeding (letting him graze) can be dangerous with his breed. Cavalier almost always develop heart problems and just like humans being overweight will add it that so good diet with measured amount is pretty much a must.

To me there is nothing like owning a cavalier. I love Fletcher so much. He is sweet, loving up for anything as long as he's with me...we have been hiking, camping, boating, spend the whole summer enjoying lazy swimming pool days, and just hanging around the house. Besides being one of the best looking dog breeds, Fletcher's typical cavalier personality of being happy is just something amazing to me. Risks and health problems from me outweight the wonderful things about owning a cavalier...I do not see my life without owning at least one again.

Please use this forum, ask questions, use the search, share pictures....we are all cavalier crazy here :)

we have had our little girl gabby for about a littie over 2yrs and are so smitten with her. it was love st first sight. she and her sister were given to my dad at 6mos. i had never heard of the breed till then. our only regrets is not takeing both babbies. everyday with gabby is pure joy. she sleeps with us and our lives revolve around her. you cant help but to love gabby. from what i read about the breed and the very proud owner of one they are the most awesome little fur babbies around. gabby is a real blessing in our lives

Congratulations on your new fur baby! and welcome to the board!
I second the pet insurance..even if you get from a great breeder. even my cousins husband was adament i get pet insurance for maggie. do a bit of shopping around to find the best insurance..(depending on where you live i have some recomendations) Seeing what our last cavalier went through and the bills he accumilated for my parents.. its a good deal :)

i cant wait to see pictures and hear some mroe stories about your new arrival. A pet parent is an adventure for sure.

I too, waited until I retired before getting our cavvie. She's a black and tan named Sam. I also researched a number of breeds and as luck would have it, a woman walked by our house while outside with the friendliest little Ruby and I haven't been right since. My dog will be 3 years in March and we got her from the same breeder as the Ruby. Turns out the Ruby's sister is my dog's mom. It took me six months for my wife to agree to getting a dog - and guess who the dog favors? I told the wife I'd get another until I realized both dogs would be on her lap! Sam will be on my lap and as soon as my wife walks into the room she sits up, looks at me as if to say, "Hey, can't you see Terri just came in - put me down I want to sit on her lap." Sam also failed to eat much when she arrived. Her breeder alerted us to the fact she'd rather play with her food than eat it - unlike her 4 brothers. We had a vet's appointment arranged within two days of picking her up. Our vet assured us this would pass - it did. She gets a cup of her kibble in the morning and the evening - and it's gone in a flash. She usually provides a loud belch soon after eating - this breed is an absolute hoot. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Back