• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Grooming and Presentation

Brian M

Hi

As I have said before I spend about an hour a night brushing and combing my four ,this
enables them hopefully to look better but mainly for me to spot any unwanted tangles
or twigs in their coats plus I get to have a good feel of them to ensure theres no other
problems hidden in there .My question is how can I improve the look of their coats I don't
wish to show but I would like the girls to flaunt what they have .I have a grooming table
and lots of quality brushes but I dont really know what to do with them apart from the
basics I already do now ,so is there a good book on grooming Cavaliers or anything else
people can advise .I have the Cavaliers and the gear and the time and I enjoy brushing
them its just as I say I lack the knowledge .Some of the ears you see are superb .

ha
You may find this DVD useful: http://www.superstylingsessions.com/cavalierDVD.html I purchased one and found it very informative. After purchasing it, I emailed one of the authors (Sue Zecco) with a couple questions and she quickly responded - and stated to feel free to contact her with any future questions.

I think that is a really bad demonstration for cavaliers. They admit that the demo cavalier's ears and torso coat had been trimmed, although they claim that the pet owner had that done. If they wanted to use a proper specimen for a demostration, they should have chosen a cavalier that had not been trimmed.

The stripping knife is a device which cuts hair, which would be a violation of the breed standard, as I interpret it. This is what the standard says about "coat":

The CKCSC,USA standard states: "Trimming: NO trimming of the dog is permitted. However, it is permissible, and often desirable, to remove the hair growing between the pads on the underside of the foot."

The ACKCSC standard states: "COAT: ... No trimming of the dog is permitted. Specimens where the coat has been altered by trimming, clipping, or by artificial means shall be so severely penalized as to be effectively eliminated from competition. Hair growing between the pads on the underside of the feet may be trimmed."

The UK Club standard states: "Coat: ... Totally free from trimming."

I know from talking to a lot of show folks that many do a bit of snipping here and there though and that people just turn a blind eye to it. :)

Brian ears that look incredible tend to look that way on dogs just groomed for show! They take a lot of work and hairspray, I think. :lol:

Sadly the long ears went on two of my SM cavaliers as they would tangle due to scratching, and they then risked catching nails in their ears. They also tend to scratch off the surface layer of hair (the blackest hair on my two tris, leaving greyish hair underneath exposed). It is a lot easier, and more comfortable for them, to keep their ears short, like puppies or a bit longer. I do miss Leo's beautiful ears of the past, though -- he had the longest and loveliest ear hair of them all. :(

I much prefer a long natural coat to a trimmed one and I really detest the shaved dog look (and it tends to ruin their coats) but I know people have their own reasons and likes and dislikes when it comes to coat length; then some dogs get trimmed for SM reasons, others because they tend to pee on their coats (a particular issue with city-living females I think as they tend to sit into their own urine if peeing on a hard surface). IMHO pet owners don't have to be too concerned with breed standard coats as they are not showing -- but sure wish groomers had a better knowledge of the breed, as they should if they want to call themselves professionals! Far too many groomers -- I would state with confidence, the vast majority -- are clueless about cavaliers and regularly do atrocious things to their coats -- like shaving them off, usually without asking the owner if they want this done! :yikes That level of ignorance is appalling.

Some show people definitely do a bit of snipping here and there - I've watched them at club shows! I think a lot of groomers, faced with a Cavalier, think 'Spaniel' and then think 'Cocker Spaniel', a breed that does get stripped out, and don't think (or know) that the emphasis on Cavaliers, coat-wise, is in this instance 'pretty Toy breed' not 'Spaniel'.

Aled has 'puppy' ears at the moment because the obedience show season is approaching and we are practising, and he does hate getting a mouthful of ear when he picks up his dumbell!:) Oliver's ears are long but they are silky and rarely tangle. It's the dense, heavy ears that many Blenheims have (and Aled has) that tangle easily - but I just tickle him behind his ears regularly and if I feel a tangle, cut it out.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I trim my older dog and I plan on trimming my younger boy when he is done showing. They just don't need all that hair for romping around the house.

As for improving the coat a good conditioner will do wonders. Also using a drying coat after a bath will train the hair to lay flat.

Back