• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What activities to do in bad weather?

anniemac

We are getting some sleet and ice in NC and its not a good time to take long walks. I was wondering what people do with their cavaliers that live in cold weather and are used to this? Elton is high energy and at least needs several long walks or throwing the ball on the rooftop.

Also, it usually is not that cold here. Elton doesn't have a jacket but I have one from Ella that is too big. He has a sweater but it can get wet and cold.

Help from a frozen CT member

Also, I live in a small apartment so throwing the ball inside is not an option. He has several toys but really only likes balls.

Just what I was going to ask!! our 'winter' has finally arrived and this morning we got caught in a very nasty hail storm and ended up sheltering in a neighbours garage overhang:yikes ...gales have returned on and off throughout the day with icy rain, so we threw ball (space in the house) and played at the hunt the kibble, find which room daddy is in (now daddy does NOT want to be found :cool:) and weave poles.....I'm exhausted...he's like 'what's next?' ....

Well, I'm afraid most cold weather cavaliers and their owners probably grin and bear it. Winter lasts too long in some places to allow it to change your life.

On the other hand, we are on severely limited walks due mostly to the sun going down so early. Fortunately with the snow on the ground there's so much light reflected that we are able to do walks at night now (Thistle will only walk off leash right now, and Guinness is too afraid of getting lost to walk off leash in the dark). When we don't walk we do indoor fetch, and chews.

Do you have room to roll the ball?
It can also be a good time to work on training. If he doesn't know basic commands start with those sit, down, stay, leave it. If he's got basic commands down teach him to do the hokey pokey (putting a paw in, taking it out, turning in a circle, etc- it's a cute parlor trick).

You can do scent tracking games- Anja and Gladys are doing those, maybe she'll chime in.

In Louisiana we used to do walks at Petsmart or Lowes in inclement weather. Our Lowes people usually had treats behind the counter, and were really welcoming. Lots of customers will come over to say hi, and you can pick up a new power drill, or lightbulbs.

Well I'm a freezing in southeastern Virginia its snowing!!!!!!!!!!! I took Fletcher for a long walk this morning before it started. I came home half frozen!!!!! But last week it rained all week so I totally understand. I have both a healthy active dog and a 5 year old kid who are climbing the walls and suffering from a serious case of cabin fever. Mr. Monster has been off school all week (its a normal preschool shut down- public school because its testing/exam week) I'm lucky cause my Mother owns a business that is a big open space...I have been taking Fletcher and Mr. Monster there after closing time for some good old fashion run around time.....both NEED it desperately!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate Petsmart but walking or outing at Lowe's do it!!!!!!!

You can play "come/go to" if there are two humans. One steps away, both have treats, first says "go to Suzy! And Suzy says "Come!" reverse and repeat. Helps practice "Come" and teaches "go to".

There are some good games by Nina Ottoson you can buy online. They entertain dogs a lot.

You can play with a laser pointer. Just be sure to hide some treats and lead your dog to the treats with the laser so he actually "finds" something.

You can also teach tricks. I do this with Luke often, using his dinner. I like kikopup and pamelamarxsen on YouTube for ideas of things to teach. If your dog will play tug, that's something you could try too. You could try your dog in a class that is indoors. Luke goes to several things most weeks. He has Nose Work on Wednesdays, Weight Pulling on Thursdays when it's not too cold (I take two dogs, so one has to crate in the car while the other one works, so we skipped it this week because it was too cold for that) and Flyball on Fridays.

Let's see...it's not usually cold here, but Rose is high energy and we don't do walks due to a mean and often loose dog in our neighborhood and the fact that I have a 9 year old kid who also needs "worn down", lol. Before we got our boxer Emma (those 2 wear each other slap out :) ), we did the laser pointer, rolling the ball, hiding the ball, hiding the 9 year old (lol), treatballs with dry dog food/low calorie treats in them, tug of war, and "find the treat" dog puzzles. And with rolling the ball, most of the "wearing out" happens from me having a hand on the ball, and zipping it back and forth across the floor, and her jumping right to left, trying to make sure she's there when I turn it loose. ;) . I also rub some coconut oil or peanut butter on the deer antlers to make them extra interesting in an "sanity emergency". Good luck!

We recently had several days of rain here so I had to get creative. As we live in a six story apartment building, we rode the elevator up (laziness on my part, I know) and then walked down each floor's hall to the opposite stairs until we got to ground. We practiced off-leash time in this relatively safe environment which allowed Oliver to run and sniff at doors.

We play sometimes "hide and seek". I tell my girl Duses "wait in the cage", i hide and say find me. at the beginning i let her find me easyly and then i hide in a place very hard to find, she uses her nose and evetually finds me, this is final move :))

Also, I live in a small apartment so throwing the ball inside is not an option. He has several toys but really only likes balls.

Lol! I live in an apartment as well and we had -40C weather last week! We play fetch inside anyway :*nana:I hope the downstairs neighbours don't mind toooo much! ;)

We also go into the hallway and run up and down the hall. In this awful weather it's the best I can manage during the weekdays. It's starting to warm up here now though, only -15C today! hahah

Back