• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Thistle having so many issues...dewormer and SM

Soushiruiuma

Alright, as most probably know Thistle was just diagnosed with SM. Since starting on prednisone (a week before the MRI) she has been very gassy, and sometimes gets distended and uncomfortable just from the tummy issues. She had a crazy vomiting session about 2 weeks ago, and earned herself an emergency vet visit for that.

She has been off of pred since 2 days after the MRI (tapered off). She is now on gabapentin 100 mg TID, omeprazole 1 capsule SID, and has been taking melatonin 1 mg SID (evening). Her screaming pain episodes haven't recurred, and she's only scratching occasionally (right around time for more gabapentin).

But she's still really gassy. Tonight her poo looked like it might have contained some worms. I had a Sentinel in the house so just gave it to her (was it ok to just give that with everything else she is on?).

She's been much happier since starting the gabapentin, and is a lot more active and snuggly now, but I still feel like she's got further issues.

Any suggestions on how to deal with the gassiness? I've already told her to stop being ladylike and just let it out, massaging her tummy seems to help, but it's only a momentary fix.

No suggestions on this -- I do wonder whether it is a separate issue; I'd be thinking food intolerance or allergy or irritable bowel, though worms could be a source.

On the melatonin -- any idea why this was prescribed? I've never heard of it being used with SM.

I don't think the gassiness is related the SM. but I think it could be related to medication (possibly), or diet, or worms, or...

After her vomiting episode we switched food, from a chicken based diet, to a lamb and rice diet. It's possible she is having issues with both diets, and I can change again when this bag is running low, but I'm just wandering blind on what's causing this.

But I do think the gassiness is causing her quite a bit of discomfort, so I'd like to get it sorted. And I'm wondering if we'll even be able to back off the gabapentin a little once her gut issues are resolved.

On the melatonin- a search of this forum for "SM melatonin" should turn up a thread.

My Bentley gets bouts of gasiness and rumbly tummy. I keep an infant anti-gas med on hand for him, like Baby Gas-X or the generic (you can get it at Walmart), the generic name of the med is simethicone. It's liquid and comes with an eye dropper. It has been a life saver for Bentley when he gets gassy.

Back