Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance : Do I or don't I ?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pet Insurance : Do I or don't I ?

I vacillate with my decision to insure or not to insure my 2 Cavaliers. I have read the multiple posts here on investing in pet health insurance, but still find myself debating the right decision for my dogs. I live in the US and my 2 Cavaliers are currently healthy, ages 1.5 and 4.5 years. No pre-existing problems so far. If I were to insure them, I know I would choose Pet Plan. I realize I should decide soon.

How many on this board have chosen not to invest in pet insurance and have actually put aside money each month for their dogs ? Has anyone on this board decided to go this route in lieu of paying increasing premiums and high deductibles ? Is it more economical just putting that money in your private dog account for future needs ? Pros and cons to going this route ?

Can anyone help me through this dilemma ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Because I have four (was five) cavaliers, it makes more sense for me to pay as issues come up though I have kept two on insurance as they were on as puppies. I chose the same route with my cats (all indoor cats).

This makes sense for me; I have some savings set aside that would be some of what I would pay for multiple animals and chances are most will be healthy; it would be crippling to pay insurance on everyone. It does NOT make sense if someone feels they could not, at a moment's notice, produce several thousand dollars/euro/pounds for diagnosis and care for CM/SM, costly medications for some of the conditions cavaliers get, a patella surgery, or a serious accident or illness. It is very easy to run up a bill of thousands just getting a diagnosis. It is tragic to have to put your dog down because the money isn't there to pay for basic or emergency treatment.

Really it is all about one's own risk appetite and ability to care for cavaliers or other pets if worse comes to worse. Cavaliers do have some serious and potentially costly health problems and that should be kept in mind by owners.

The point of insuring is also ease of mind. The hope is that you pay your insurance and never have to use it because your furry loved ones do not ever have the misfortune to be that ill. I have never understood people wanting to have gotten their 'money's worth' out of pet insurance as it means basically saying you hope that your pet gets ill enough that you at least break even on what you paid.

If I had only one or two dogs I would definitely insure them.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

i got it for maggie, for the what ifs. oliver had so many issues..skin, eyes, tummy, and in the end heart.
    considering i was always 'take him to the vet' when there was the slightest thing wrong with olly.. i thought it was only right to get it for maggie. I hope not to ever have to use it..but its there if i need it.
    my friend has the same insurance as me for his dog and has used it for nearly $10,000 so far. crazy.
    also, my cousin-inlaw insisted i get it. he was so adament if i was going to get a 'pure bred' dog..i have insurance.:s
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

i got it for maggie, for the what ifs. oliver had so many issues..skin, eyes, tummy, and in the end heart.
    considering i was always 'take him to the vet' when there was the slightest thing wrong with olly.. i thought it was only right to get it for maggie. I hope not to ever have to use it..but its there if i need it.
    my friend has the same insurance as me for his dog and has used it for nearly $10,000 so far. crazy.
    also, my cousin-inlaw insisted i get it. he was so adament if i was going to get a 'pure bred' dog..i have insurance.:s
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

I sorta did both. I have insurance but I had money saved for Fletcher uncovered vet costs (puppy stuff) I also save up enough money to pay for insurance for the whole first year. If you go the save just for dog thing make SURE you are not skipping it, hopefully in the long run that would work out better. But what if one of yours gets seriously sick and wipes out the whole fund???? Now you have a dog with more than likely pre-existing condition........it me better be safe than sorry. Just buy the insurance.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

We have Pet Plan insurance for Sonny, I think we pay like $35 a month???. We haven't had to use it yet (thank goodness), but it gives me a piece of mind to know he is covered for anything big that comes up. Two of his siblings were diagnosed with luxating patellas last year and had to have surgery which was very costly for their owners.

We still pay out of pocket for all of Sonny's routine vet stuff, vaccinations, annual exams, ect.

Post Thanks / Like

So since my last post..ive used it twice.
    once at the doctor for medication for a non 'check up' related issue..an infection in her lady bits.. but Last week.. her third eye lid showed itself when dropping her off at my grandpas(i didnt know this is what it was at the time)
    I was RELALY worried . but i open the daycare center in the mornings and couldnt do anything right then and there...so i waited till my vet said they were closed for surgerys all day.. and decided to take her to emerg.
    picking her up...the 3rd eye lid was gone. she looked perfectly normal. but having pet insurance with 90% coverage and zero deductable..it was pretty much a no brainer..lets take her in to check JUST INCASE.

had i not had insurance..i might still be watching her worrying about what that had been..or..i woulda been outa pocket $112.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Your pets are very important to you, so you want the best, but we all know how expensive vet bills are. It's great that your dogs are still young/healthy, but I'm sure you can use the savings anyway. There's a discount program from Pet Assure that offers a great discount right at the time of your pet's medical services. It can be used in addition to pet insurance, as well as for pets at any age or with preexisting conditions. What's great too is that the plan can be used as many times as needed. Go to this page and read more. Hope this was helpful to you.

Post Thanks / Like

We are considering Pet Plan and was just at their site to get a quote. We do seem to spend a lot on routine care for our dogs such as tests, teeth cleaning, shots, etc.. Jenny has had 2 infections since we've had her, but they were both treated with antibiotics and she recovered in a day or so. As Karlin points out, you hope you never have to use the insurance so there's no point in worrying if you get your money back. Insurance is nothing more than managing risk. I have mixed feelings about buying the insurance v. having a pet savings account. Guess I'll have to talk to SWMBO about it.

Post Thanks / Like

All of my 3 Cavaliers have SM and one also has had an luxating patella op and also has a heart murmer and degenerated discs. All I can say is that as heartbreaking all this is I have peace of mind as all of mine have 7000 a year life cover. I can give them the best care there is without cutting corners. My heart breaks every day and I think I would go insane if I would have to worry about the money side of all this. My dogs are 6.5 & 6 and 4.5 and it all started 2 years ago. I could never have saved up as much as they have cost me so far.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "