Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice about a harness

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Perhaps some others here are familiar with the issue and have a perspective too. The breed officially is not a sporting breed, it is a toy/companion breed and hence a slightly different role. All cavaliers are different though! and some may be OK for some short distance running -- but still cannot think cavaliers are the best choice for running generally, as the breed does have a higher likelihood than many others for joint problems like luxating patella (common in all toy breeds) and hip dysplasia. And their soft palate and sinuses are affected by the fact that their nose is so short, meaning they have a harder time breathing and therefore, cooling themselves down by panting or in some cases, getting enough air during hard exertion -- it is why so many snore and they commonly get the 'cavalier snort' -- and some can have a quite serious airway obstruction problem. A distance of 5-6 miles seems really long to me for a cavalier to be running constantly; maybe that's mostly because I would find that hard to run myself. .

I had a look as I know this issue has come up in the past, and back in 2007 I posted this for someone with a similar question:

This should be helpful! :

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_JogDog.php

Directly related to your question, see below (note cavaliers are short nosed breeds so that is one caution, as is their shorter legs on many dogs, and the fact that a given dog could be prone to either hip dysplasia or patella problems and long distance running especially on pavement could exacerbate these. So a full vet checkup is a good idea before starting jogging or any exercise regime. The other is that usually as with people you need to work up to any distance very slowly, over time, to develop stamina -- I'd think many weeks to go from one mile to even three would be needed):

Quotes:

Humans are better suited to jogging or running for long periods nonstop than are canines, who tend to engage in short, intense bursts of running with intermittent stops to sniff around, piddle and absorb the scenery.

snip

Avoid overexertion:

Remember, dogs will usually try to keep up with their people just because it is their nature to do so. This can mask fatigue and overshadow signs that the dog is overdoing it. So be vigilant and do not push your dog too hard.

snip

Breed considerations:

Keep your dog's breed in mind when planning your exercise routine. Small dogs with short legs usually don't need to ... or should not ...be walked or jogged as long as larger dogs.

Breeds with short noses may have trouble breathing when exercised vigorously. Short-snouters range from little pugs to bulldogs to boxers and many others.

And don't assume that racing breeds such as Greyhounds and whippets can run marathons. While they are built to run, they were not breed to run for long distances.

And for young pups and big breeds of any age, sustained jogging or running is too hard on their joints.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe a skijoring harness would work?

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secu...ts/default.asp

That's an awful long run, you sure couldn't get me to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new here and this is a wonderful forum for anyone with a Cavalier. Many thanks for this thread and your comments. We are using a Gentel Leader Easy Walk harness. It stopped or 11 mo. old from pulling immediately. We are still trying to get it adjusted right so that the belly strap does not rub behind her front legs. This harness was recommended by a trainer. You can see one here:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Post Thanks / Like

This is the harness we ended up getting for Rose (a high energy Cav): http://www.shop.dachshunddelights.co..._mesh-1-1.html

They are custom made to fit your dog (you send in the measurements). We had a hard time finding one that fit her correctly, but this one fits her great! We got white mess with brown edging. It hasn't rubbed any spots on her, even in the saltwater and sand at the beach (she is a sandcrab huntress extraordinaire- or so she thinks, haha), so she is running and jumping and diving and darting (and hitting the end of her 16 foot lead) the whole time we are on the beach .

You may also consider making a "sheepskin"/wooly padding cover for the gentle leader to go around the harness straps to help cut down on the rubbing.

Post Thanks / Like

We keep fine tuning the Easy Walk harness and we're very close to having it adjusted properly. She was walking next to us today and there were no rubbing problems. We are still in a little doubt about this being the best harness for a Cavalier. It certainly stopped the pulling though.

Post Thanks / Like

Some cavaliers must just have more sensitive skin than others. And I'm sure the length of time wearing it and the type of activity makes a difference, too. Lady has been using the Easy Walk since August and she's never had any issues with rubbing irritation. She only wears it for about an hour a day during our brisk walks, and I take it off immediately once we get home. She also has very thin fur compared to Gracie so there's not much padding to protect her.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpell009 View Post
    Some cavaliers must just have more sensitive skin than others. And I'm sure the length of time wearing it and the type of activity makes a difference, too. Lady has been using the Easy Walk since August and she's never had any issues with rubbing irritation. She only wears it for about an hour a day during our brisk walks, and I take it off immediately once we get home. She also has very thin fur compared to Gracie so there's not much padding to protect her.
    If you are writing the dob with the day first, your tri is just 1 day older than our tri dob = Feb 10, 2012