• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tell me about Cushings disease, I'm so worried...

Remali

My Bentley is 7 years old now, and in the past couple months, and even the past week, he has developed some symptoms, that at one time I blamed on his past bout of anaplasmosis. He has been easily-fatigued and rather lethargic, and can no longer jump up on the bed or the couch, this I blamed on the anaplasmosis. My vet did re-check for anaplas and Lyme and all was fine. Recently he has gained a lot of weight though, to the point where I am rather freaked out by it as he almost has a lumpy weird look to him and he looks bloated (altho he is not actually bloated, more pot-bellied I guess you could call it), he's gotten more lethargic and doesn't even play with his toys any more, snores and pants more, seems to drink more (just in the past couple days), and last night some new skin issues popped up. He has these odd hardened raised areas on his back, sort of pink-tinged but not red yet , they are kind of behind his shoulders and along his back, more on his upper back. He also developed a crusty appearance to his nose, and has lost some hair at the tip of his tail to the point where I can see bare skin. He does not seem to be itching at all however. I am going to call my vet tomorrow and make an appointment to take him in. While doing an online search of his newly-formed skin issues I came across pictures of calcinosis cutis, it looked a lot like what Bentley has, and upon further reading I discovered it was a symptom of Cushings.

Has anyone out there had experience with Cushings? I'm so worried about my boy.

Aside from the skin issues, I'd be thinking about MVD (lethargy, bloating). But I don't know anything about Cushing's. I believe some board members have had it in their cavs, not sure who though.

Good luck.

Sorry you are trying to figure out what is going on -- this definitely sounds like things are not right.

You might also check for thyroid disease, or Addison's disease.

Try searching for the subject of Cushings here on the board, too. We have had people dealing with this.

Here's one thread:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/...ster-has-Cushing-s-Disease&highlight=cushings

I'd try to get this diagnosed right away :flwr:. With a lot of these conditions, the earlier they are caught and managed, the better -- some types of damage cannot be reversed. (y)

Rene, I can't offer any advice because (thankfully) I've never dealt with Cushings, but I know how much you love Bentley and this must be tearing you up. Try to relax until you can see your vet and know for sure what is going on. Hopefully it is not that serious, but you're definitely doing the right thing bringing him in right away so you can get a diagnosis and start proper treatment.

In the meantime ... :hug:

Thank you everyone. I have a vet appt. for Bentley tomorrow. I appreciate all the suggestions, I agree it could also be so many other things, and I have often wondered about MVD too. My old vet was so nice but he retired, so now I am sort of stuck with a new vet, we'll see how it goes. If I don't care for him (I'm picky, ha) I may drive to another vet I used to take him to, in a town just north of here, altho not very far away, just more of a hassle to get there since right now my car is not running (on-going repairs, tune-up, etc.) and so I have to rely on friends to drive me right now.

I'm just wondering how the Vet appt went?

I have a friend whose dog had Cushing's. She also was diabetic, which is how we met, as I had a diabetic dog also.

Let us know how things go.

Back