Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Melvin and the lingering fear SM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's such great news!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI Mel gets his MRI on Wednesday. Wish us luck to finding a way to help our boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The very best of luck and let us know how it goes. Many of us have been where you are now, and know what you are going through.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I can't express how much I appreciate your words of guidance towards valuable information as well as the emotional support. I will definitely keep all of you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MelsCavieMum View Post
    I can't express how much I appreciate your words of guidance towards valuable information as well as the emotional support. I will definitely keep all of you posted.
    This is exactly why I love coming to this board. I found a wealth of information when my Sydney started down the path of MVD. I made decisions based on the advice of vets, but found the questions (and some of the answers) I needed to ask here. When the inevitable happened, and when I had to say goodbye to Sydney, the people here were my saviors.

I don't know much about caring for a SM dog, but I do know the people do care and the support here in invaluable. I will keep you and Mel in my thoughts.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

If after Mel's MRI, you decide you want to come to Chicago to see a neurologist, I really love Riley's. His name is Michael Podell and he is at Chicago Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Center. You can PM me if you want any more info. He has done SM surgery on Riley and disc surgery on one of my other dogs. Riley sees him every 6 months for blood work as she's on daily prednisone. Good luck. I know it's a long wait until Wednesday.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope that everything goes well for Melvin on Wednesday and you find the answers you need.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as many of you know tomorrow is the big MRI day and Mel is TOTALLY picking up on my nerves... he won't even eat dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mel's mum

How did the MRI go? Do let us know, we were thinking of you, and will be here for you whatever the result.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Well, today the whole family is home recovering from our yesterdays journey and emotional trials. After being put under for the MRI, Mel is STILL so tired, and I've given up on my day to pretty much just holding him. The results concluded that Mel definitively has SM, and after consulting with two neurologists it seems our best option is surgery. Mel is currently on Gabapentin (Sp?) three times each day as well as Omezprazole. I knew this was going to happen, but I still can't help but be heartbroken. Up to the last moment I was hoping it was some strange and uncommon infection that could be treated with a daily regiment of Peanut Butter and couch-snuggles. I suppose I should work on my attachment to blind hope.
    On that note, however, There is one idea I am very anxious (and hopeful...) to discuss with all of you. Mel's doctors said they have a different surgical maneuver that I have never heard of. They said they would be going in from the UNDERSIDE of his head and doing the surgery from there. I had only ever heard of the surgery which took place at the top of the head behind the base of the skull. My doctor is swearing by it and says that the other patients they have done this on have had great results stopping progression and relieving symptoms. What are all of your thoughts? Has anyone had this surgery? If so, what were your experiences?
    My husband and I are very anxious to get the surgery for our wee man so he can try to get back to doing all of the things he loves to do.

PS I am HUGGING the past-Lauren for setting up a medical expense savings account for my dogs.