Thread: Spaying

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spaying

I plan on having BellaMia spayed BEFORE her 1st heat. I agree with all that has been written here about the health benefits (my vet agrees too!). Anyway, my question is, I have an appointment for the end of this month when BellaMia will be 6 months old. Is there any health benefit in waiting longer, 7 or 8 months. I know there is a risk of going into heat the longer I wait, and I do want to avoid that, but just wondering is 6 months is too soon.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are comfortable with the arguments for spaying before first heat which have all been discussed here many times as you know , then you will want to spay at around 6 months. If you wait much longer, you are more likely to encounter her first heat. If that happens, you will want to wait til about 3 months after that first heat ends, to spay mid-cycle.

I think anything between first heat and second heat is a good choice -- I would personally feel comfortable with either, myself -- and when to do it depends on what feels best for a person, given the arguments and counter-arguments.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I think anything between first heat and second heat is a good choice -- I would personally feel comfortable with either, myself -- and when to do it depends on what feels best for a person, given the arguments and counter-arguments.
    Am I misunderstanding? Do you feel the better choice is after first heat, but before the second?

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry -- that was indeed not phrased very clearly by me . I should have said anything just before the first heat to before the second.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clarifying. I feel so much more comfortable when all the "smart folks" on CT and my vet agree!

Sydney (