• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spaying

Sydneys Mom

I plan on having BellaMia spayed BEFORE her 1st heat. I agree with all that has been written here about the health benefits (my vet agrees too!). Anyway, my question is, I have an appointment for the end of this month when BellaMia will be 6 months old. Is there any health benefit in waiting longer, 7 or 8 months. I know there is a risk of going into heat the longer I wait, and I do want to avoid that, but just wondering is 6 months is too soon.

If you are comfortable with the arguments for spaying before first heat which have all been discussed here many times as you know :) , then you will want to spay at around 6 months. If you wait much longer, you are more likely to encounter her first heat. If that happens, you will want to wait til about 3 months after that first heat ends, to spay mid-cycle.

I think anything between first heat and second heat is a good choice -- I would personally feel comfortable with either, myself -- and when to do it depends on what feels best for a person, given the arguments and counter-arguments. (y)

I think anything between first heat and second heat is a good choice -- I would personally feel comfortable with either, myself -- and when to do it depends on what feels best for a person, given the arguments and counter-arguments. (y)

Am I misunderstanding? Do you feel the better choice is after first heat, but before the second?

Sorry -- that was indeed not phrased very clearly by me :sl*p:. I should have said anything just before the first heat to before the second. :)

Thanks for clarifying. I feel so much more comfortable when all the "smart folks" on CT and my vet agree! cl*p

Back