• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm about to be a mommy! help...

saravrose

Firstly hi. My name is Sara. I live in Portland Oregon and after about three years of contemplating the idea of getting a puppy I have settled on a cavalier. I am not completely ignorant about them. My favorite aunt had a cavalier for fourteen years and then when he passed away she got another one three years ago. I loved Perry, absolutely adored him, thought he was beautiful a little too beautiful to be a boy but when it came down to what kind of dog I wanted I couldn't talk myself into anything else. And I tried, they're expensive they need a lot of attention, they have health issues etc. Doesn't seem to matter anymore. I found my puppy from breeders right outside of Seattle. After the purchase of a carpet cleaner and new sturdy trash cans my boyfriend agreed, now that he met her he's excited I came home yesterday to him puppy proofing our fireplace and bedroom. But, that said I have become voracious in trying to be well prepared and committed to being a good pet owner.

I think my shopping is done. I found my vet and talked with her on the phone she seems like she understands what my cavalier will need. I found my pet insurance and already have an appointment to get her micro-chipped. I have arranged for our neighbor who is retired to walk her when I have to work late. I'm signing up for puppy training classes as soon as she's old enough. I bought her kennel, bil jac puppy food because that's what my breeders feed her, a basket full of toys balls, ropes chew toys, stuffed animals etc. I have her pet carrier and a little exercise pen already set up in my office for when were not home. I got puppy pads for inside and that faux grass patch for my patio ( I don't have a yard).

I don't have any intention of showing or breeding her she's going to be our pet. Oh, and she's absolutely beautiful. But, I am realistic this is going to be a bit hard. I'm going to be tired, she is going to make messes. It's okay, i'm committed. Now I found these forums which have already been super helpful I've been reading like crazy. So hi! If anybody has pearls of wisdom or advice I'm so up for whatever anybody can tell me. and there's a picture of her with her dad her name is Lucie.
481624_10151704278724112_529997117_n.jpg

Hi Sara, congratulations on settling on a Cavalier. They are truly amazing dogs and you won't regret it. I am still a beginner when it comes to Cavaliers. Just make sure you don't teach her any bad habits as it can be hard to break them later on. Have fun!

Welcome! It sounds like your educated on cavaliers and puppies in general. Seems like you are all ready for your little one to arrive. I was a nervous wreak about bring Fletcher home the mix of excitement and worry about raising my first puppy. My Fletcher just turned a year old so most of puppyhood is behind us now, looking back on yes it was hard and worrisome however the rewards are too numerous the count. Just be consistent and remember to enjoy the mishaps on the way. Even when Fletcher is doing something bad like trying, to sneak onto the kitchen table I have to laugh :) bad dog!

Congratulations. what I can tell you is you're going to love having her, they are the best.

One piece of advice I always give is never step backwards without looking behind you! Cavaliers are velcro dogs and she'll be by your side most if not all of the time.

Good luck

Mel

Congratulations!! That is so exciting.
I had contacted a few breeders in Seattle before i found one a LITTLE closer to home.
she is beautiful :)

Congratulations. what I can tell you is you're going to love having her, they are the best.

One piece of advice I always give is never step backwards without looking behind you! Cavaliers are velcro dogs and she'll be by your side most if not all of the time.

Good luck

Mel

'funny' i accidently stepped on maggie yesterday..paw fur or tail fur (no bones) yesterday..but got the yalp. oh dear she is so dramatic.. no doubt it was painfull (she pulls my hair at least once a day by scrambling around above my head on the couch or bed.) she was scrambling around frantically after so i picked her up saying 'oh sorry maggie..so sorry..its okay' and shes scrambling up my arms as high as she can go wiggling and being a little over dramatic (ive seen her do this at the vet or the groomers as well..they give her back to me and she cant get far enough up my arm before resting on my shoulder)
bless her. Yes always look around you wherever you step. they like to be right under your feet.

Congrats on your new puppy - so exciting!! Lucy is gorgeous and so sweet cuddled up to her dad!

The stepping on the dog thing is so true!!! I have stepped on Lady a few times and that yelp is alarming but she's been unharmed thankfully. They are always under your feet! I ran into a man walking his pug with a cast on yesterday! We asked what happened and he said he stepped on him. The cast wasn't slowing the little dog down at all but it is scary what could happen.

Back