Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Bobbing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head Bobbing

Has anyone else experienced this . . .

Sofie, my 4 1/2 month old Cavalier, will start bobbing her head and blinking her eyes and staggers a bit, kind of like a seizure. This will occur for about 5 to 10 seconds, then she is fine. I have taken her to a neurologist, who could not find anything upon a general neurological exam. Today we are having her liver bile levels tested to see if she has liver shunt. If nothing comes of this, it is back to the neurologist for an MRI. The bottom line is right now both my regular vet and neurologist are stumped. This is not normal behavior for SM.

If anyone has heard of or experienced this, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.
    Marge

Post Thanks / Like

There is a condition sometimes called head tremors seen in some dogs, Bulldogs for one, which has been described as bobblehead. I do not know whether it has been seen in Cavaliers or not. Sometimes people will think their dog has epilepsy or is having a some type of seizure but this is different. Not sure if the cause is known. Apparently they can outgrow it. One recommendation is to lightly tap the dog on the head to get his or her attention or to get their attention with something else like a treat or a chew toy to stop the bobbling. You might try a search for head tremors under a canine health website and see if this accurately describes what is happening.

Best of luck. Hope it is nothing serious.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We had a Boxer that used to do this. It was given the label of “idiopathic head tremor”. In plain english, this means head tremor with an unknown cause. We didn't bother going down the path of neurologists as our vet said that it was not uncommon in the breed (& several others), nobody really knew what caused it and in most cases it did not progress into anything sinister. Our girl did not stagger or blink like yours thought, she just had the tremor. They first started when she was about 2 years old, did not cause her any trouble & she lived to a reasonable age for a Boxer.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marge,

I can't say I've ever personally heard of this in cavaliers. What part of WA state are you from? I grew up in Chehalis (1/2way between Portland and Seattle on I-5) I hope you can find out what it is and it's something simple or something that she can grow out of
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

My 9 1/2 year old Sophie does this as well. just started a few months ago. I assumed it was due to "older age" for her. She definitely has the tremor that you're talking about - she looks like a little "bobble head" pup when she does it. Then a few seconds later, she's up and about. Interesting... I'd never seen this in a dog before either.

Sheri
    "Don't accept a dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful" Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

I just remembered: Bev, a mod on Dogpages, had this problem with her Deerhound, Darcy. I'll ask her about it.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default An Update on Sofie

Just an update on Sofie . . .

We just received the liver bile acids test back and they were slightly elevated, which could suggest a liver shunt. We will be doing an MRI and possibly a liver biopsy to confirm if this is what is going on or if there is a different neurological problem.

I will keep you posted.

Marge
    Marge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Two of my SM affected dogs do have focal seizures, which are very similar to what you describe - however with one of them, the tremor often goes along the spine too, which is distressing for the dog {and for us to watch}. We're told that there's no definite link to SM.

I hope that Sofie will be ok - there is some information and links to epilepsy sites in the health section if that is relevant for you.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd have a look at the Episodic Falling Syndrome website as well:

www.episodicfalling.com

I've heard of people with dogs that have done head bobbing, but not the accompanying seizure like behaviour. I hope you are able to figure out the cause.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at this thread. It is about myoclonic twitch and may be similar to what Sofie has?
    http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=19027

I hope Sofie will be OK
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)