Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Latest changes to the Assured Breeder Scheme......Guess what is not there?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Latest changes to the Assured Breeder Scheme......Guess what is not there?

    The new DNA tests for Dry Eye/Curly Coat and Episodic Falling Syndrome.

    We have a Cavalier Health Liaison Committee that failed to request these tests be added.........Why?......... It is known that the Kennel Club were willing to add them.

    The CHLC seems to be a black hole into which all cavalier health initiatives disappear.

    "These changes have been introduced following consultations with breed clubs and councils in a collaborative effort to ensure that health and welfare issues are kept at the forefront of everything the scheme does. This is mirrored in the continual addition of new DNA tests developed by scientists at the Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust and other research institutions."


    http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4769/23/5/3
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,981
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Well this is certainly relevant to your other thread on the EFRA report, isn't it?

    The Assured Breeder requirements for cavaliers must be one of the most laughable and pointless of any breed -- so very disturbing for a breed that has two significant and widespread health issues that can cost owners emotionally and financially.

    And yet, the UK breed club and KC really, truly think only eye tests should be on the AB scheme?

    Oh wait -- as you point out elsewhere, some well known committee members don't even do those and also breed their dogs well under the health protocol age. And these are the people deciding the fate of the breed.

    Explains a lot, doesn't it?

    It is useful that these breeding decisions by these people are a matter of public record and therefore, available for publication.

    Stay tuned.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia USA
    Posts
    1,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Totally insane 300000% maddening!!!!!!!! I cannot understand why its so so hard to understand their "beloved breed" is suffering and they just turn a blind eye, it is really only about the pride and money???? What about doing what is right? I hate to think these KC, UK breed clubs raise children would they treat their ill kids this way? Eyes only, what good are wonderful eyes if a dog is suffering CM/SM with sever pain, or struggling to make it up a set of stairs with MVD??? Guess it doesn't matter as long as they can run the ring and fetch top dollar for their offspring..............
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MomObvious View Post
    ...I cannot understand why its so so hard to understand their "beloved breed" is suffering and they just turn a blind eye, it is really only about the pride and money???? What about doing what is right? I hate to think these KC, UK breed clubs raise children would they treat their ill kids this way? Eyes only, what good are wonderful eyes if a dog is suffering CM/SM with sever pain, or struggling to make it up a set of stairs with MVD??? Guess it doesn't matter as long as they can run the ring and fetch top dollar for their offspring..............
    I recently read an article in a rather controversial blog about "Ten Tips to Finding the Right Dog". One of those ten tips is:

    "4. Realize that breed clubs are trade associations.

    "The main function of breed clubs is to create and rationalize an artificial market for show dogs bred in a closed registry system. The second function of a breed club is to serve as a marketing hub for puppies sold to a public who are told that breed club affiliation is the first sign of a “good” breeder. In fact, breed club membership is little more than an indication that a breeder has the patience to suffer through breed club politics. Most breed clubs require no health or performance testing of any kind, and offer up only weak ethical guidelines related to the age and frequency of mating. Many good breeders can be found in breed clubs, but breed club membership alone tells you nothing."
    Rod Russell

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia USA
    Posts
    1,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    I recently read an article in a rather controversial blog about "Ten Tips to Finding the Right Dog". One of those ten tips is:

    "4. Realize that breed clubs are trade associations.

    "The main function of breed clubs is to create and rationalize an artificial market for show dogs bred in a closed registry system. The second function of a breed club is to serve as a marketing hub for puppies sold to a public who are told that breed club affiliation is the first sign of a “good” breeder. In fact, breed club membership is little more than an indication that a breeder has the patience to suffer through breed club politics. Most breed clubs require no health or performance testing of any kind, and offer up only weak ethical guidelines related to the age and frequency of mating. Many good breeders can be found in breed clubs, but breed club membership alone tells you nothing."
    I agree with that. How many times have I seen "Merit AKC Breeder Award" on site for breeders who I would NEVER purchase a pup from. I realize its nothing but an advertising tool. Also I learned for a breeder that "inspections" are scheduled months ahead of time so how easy would to be to "prepare" even to meet their meaningless standards?? Just saying....
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MomObvious View Post
    ... How many times have I seen "Merit AKC Breeder Award" on site for breeders who I would NEVER purchase a pup from. I realize its nothing but an advertising tool. ...
    To qualify as an AKC Breeder of Merit, all a breeder has to do is:

    "1. Has a history of at least 5 years involvement with AKC events.
    2. Earned at least 4 Conformation, Performance or Companion event titles on dogs they bred/co-bred.
    3. Member of an AKC club.
    4. Certifies that applicable health screens are performed on your breeding stock as recommended by the Parent Club.
    5. Demonstrates a commitment to ensuring 100% of the puppies produced are AKC registered."


    For cavaliers, Item 4 above means only that:

    "To qualify for CHIC, Cavaliers must be screened for Hip Dysplasia (OFA, Penn HIP or OVC), Cardiac (OFA - exam performed by Board Certified Cardiologist. Recommended Annually.), Patellar Luxation (OFA), and have a CERF eye examination."

    Of course, that is assuming that when AKC says "applicable health screens are performed on your breeding stock as recommended by the Parent Club", that means to follow the CHIC qualifications.

    But, even CHIC is meaningless for cavaliers. As for MVD, all the AKC parent club -- the ACKCSC -- requires for CHIC is that the breeding stock be examined by a veterinary cardiologist. It does not require that the results of the examination show no mitral valve disease. A cavalier of any age can be examined, flunk the exam, and still qualify for a CHIC certificate and be bred!

    As for SM, the ACKCSC has no requirements at all! As far as the AKC parent club for cavaliers is concerned, syringomyelia is not a problem in the breed, and any cavalier may be bred without testing for it, much less found not to have it.
    Rod Russell

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Well this is certainly relevant to your other thread on the EFRA report, isn't it?

    The Assured Breeder requirements for cavaliers must be one of the most laughable and pointless of any breed -- so very disturbing for a breed that has two significant and widespread health issues that can cost owners emotionally and financially.

    And yet, the UK breed club and KC really, truly think only eye tests should be on the AB scheme?

    Oh wait -- as you point out elsewhere, some well known committee members don't even do those and also breed their dogs well under the health protocol age. And these are the people deciding the fate of the breed.

    Explains a lot, doesn't it?

    It is useful that these breeding decisions by these people are a matter of public record and therefore, available for publication.

    Stay tuned.
    Since 2009 the UK cavalier clubs are supposed to agree all health matters through a Cavalier Health Liaison Committee. One representative from there is the conduit to the Kennel Club responsible for giving and receiving health related information.
    What happens when people uninterested in identifying and improving health issues take control?

    They put very little information on their website......

    There are no 2013 health events shown despite the Southern Club and Cavalier Club having health testing sessions arranged in February and early March

    They stopped mentioning the AHT DNA tests for Dry Eye/Curly Coat and Episodic Falling Syndrome once they were actually available and failed to request that the KC add these simple one-off tests to the Accredited Breeders Scheme.

    The information they do have is completely out of date as they abandon schemes they previously promoted. This is usually because once enthusiastically supported studies, such as the Foetal Tissue Research Project, begin to confirm there are serious health problems in the breed.
    The only mention of the FTR on that website is a broken link to a missing facebook page.

    The European EBVs, now part of a much more rigorous government funded project looking at "Sustainable dog breeding", did not deliver the promised EBVs in 2012 and I am informed the criteria for accepting health certificates is still to be agreed. The latest information for this scheme on the CHLC website is dated September 2012. The latest newsletter has not been shown.
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In fairness, all the research projects are displayed on the home page of the Cavalier Club website - which is where I would look for them - never knew the combined health lot even had a web page! They're also having two health talks before the AGM - be interesting to see what the turnout is this year, as it was very poor last year.

    Kate, Oliver and Aled

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •