• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

So hard trying to find a puppy:(

carlyd

Its so hard trying to find a puppy where the parents have been tested. We really want a cavalier but im begining to think we should go for another breed, i just cant find any available from good breeders. I have looked on champdogs and contacted all the breeders on there who do health tests and are within 100 miles from me and no one has any available and are not putting any more ppl on there waiting lists. I also contacted a lady who was recomended on here but she has none available. Theres so many on the kc site available near me but when i call parents are not tested. I feel like we will never find our pup :(

Its so hard trying to find a puppy where the parents have been tested. We really want a cavalier but im begining to think we should go for another breed, i just cant find any available from good breeders. I have looked on champdogs and contacted all the breeders on there who do health tests and are within 100 miles from me and no one has any available and are not putting any more ppl on there waiting lists. I also contacted a lady who was recomended on here but she has none available. Theres so many on the kc site available near me but when i call parents are not tested. I feel like we will never find our pup :(

I do know it is hard but it is even harder, emotionally and financially, managing a cavalier in pain and knowing that you colluded in the irresponsible breeding that produces such sick pets.

Thank you for what you are doing. Everyone of those breeders that you have contacted & walked away from, because they have no health certificates to show, has been given a very powerful message.

I do know it is hard but it is even harder, emotionally and financially, managing a cavalier in pain and knowing that you colluded in the irresponsible breeding that produces such sick pets.

Thank you for what you are doing. Everyone of those breeders that you have contacted & walked away from, because they have no health certificates to show, has been given a very powerful message.

I would never get a pup from a breeder who has not had any health tests done, there is no reason not to have the tests done. Im so pleased i did my research first as so many people must just look for a pup and not realise the health probs with the breed. I watched a programme on cavs and it was awful seeing them in so much pain, i would never put myself and my family through that. I feel so sad the breed has been ruined and hope one day it will stop. For now i shall keep on looking and hoping we find our new baby cavtiny

If none of the breeders you have contacted has puppies available now or in the foreseeable future, I would consider taking these steps:

-- Call the breeders you are most interested in and ask if you can visit with them and see their dogs.

-- When you go, be prepared to sell yourself to those breeders. Most likely, if your initial impression is positive, the breeders will ask you a lot of questions about yourself. The more personal questions a breeder asks about your household (other caregivers or too young children?) and employment (time away from home?), the more interested that breeder is in considering placing a puppy with you.

-- Check out the breeders' kennel facilities to see if you are satisfied with how the cavaliers are cared for.

-- Don't come on strong -- like insisting that your future puppy must be a Blenheim female. Be open to all four colors and to both sexes.

-- Follow up with the breeders after your visits. Call them periodically to let them know you still are interested.

-- Go to nearby cavalier shows, or all breed shows where cavaliers are being shown, especially if any of "your" breeders are going to be there. too. Sit with one or more of those breeders at the ringside and listen to them make comments about the cavaliers in the ring. In other words, show them that you want to learn as much about the breed as possible, including conformation.

Everything that Margaret Carter has said is correct. If everybody would walk away from breeders that don’t do all the health testing Cavaliers would probably be in better shape now. My 3 have SM and one got a Heart Murmur, Luxating petalla and degenerated discs. All of them are from a KC Breeder.

If your heart is really set on a Cavalier why don’t you join the Companion Cavalier Club. There are a few health testing breeders, and we have a Facebook page where everybody is helpful and supports each other.

I agree with everything Rod said. I have done it. I went to visit a wonderful breeder, even took Mr. Monster with me since he was only 4 years old but I knew he would LOVE to met the cavaliers and behave. Honestly I was in heaven meeting so many beautiful cavaliers and the breeder even commented how good Mr. Monster was with her dogs. I think that child is like cavalier catnip we have never met one that is not totally into him. I email the breeder every few months even tho I'm not ready for a new puppy now I think its nice to build a relationship with a breeder for when I am ready. But I do know waiting for a pup can take a up to a year or more. I personally would wait or adopt a rescue.
I also took Mr. Monster to a cavalier show in my area last spring. I was surprised how many people who were willing to let us met their dogs. Plus its a wonderful to be in a room full of cavaliers.

Fully agree with the above -- it is hard to find a good, health testing breeder, but if even a tiny fraction of puppy buyers did this -- and refused to buy from all those breeders who don't healthtest or follow protocols -- the breed would be in a much better place.

It is important to note though that finding that good breeder is not a guarantee that a dog will not end up with some of the widespread breed health problems. Thankfully there's a simple inexpensive genetic test for episodic falling/dry eye curly coat. But MVD and SM are complex conditions with no DNA test available, and are endemic in the breed. The goal is to reduce severity and reduce incidence and eventually begin to eradicate the conditions. Testing and using protocols for these conditions is very important and significantly increases the chances of having a healthy cavalier or one with milder forms of these conditions -- but cannot guarantee an MVD or SM-free cavalier.

Many of us here do feel the breed's positives are worth taking this risk. Most of us I think also feel getting pet insurance that covers genetic disease, is important.

I hope you find your CKCS companion very soon. Maybe also consider opening your heart to a rescue.
Totally agree with Margaret and Karlin. It is important to health test for the future of the breed and try to improve/increases the chances reduce severity/incidence of MVD and SM/CM.
Thankfully through DNA testing we can prevent CKCS being inflicted by Episodic falling and Dry eye and curly coat. Which mine are all thankfully clear. I pray we gain more progress with MVD and SM/CM research. I feel truly blessed my life has been so enriched by sharing my life with CKCS's, have been such a joy and blessed that they have lived fulfilled and happy lives.
I felt it was important to say that when you open you heart to owning a CKCS, it is a lottery re CKCS health problems and very individual. Full health tested ckcs puppies cannot guarantee an MVD or SM-free CKCS and can still be badly inflicted with MVD, SM/CM. CKCS all have CM, from the blood lines we currently have we will always breed CM. C M can inflict same pain/symptoms as SM and is a Lottery how MVD and SM/CM disease progresses.

you are doing the right thing!!
Hang in there, it can be a long frusterating wait for some, but if you do decide to hang in and go with a cavalier, you are doing your part by supporting the few breeders who test.
It can be so tempting to see that a breeder has puppies (especially if she shows you pictures) but in the end its worth the wait...again like others have said it dosnt gurentee anything..but it's a step in the right direction..

I would also suggest looking outside your geographic area. In all likelihood you would need to wait a bit for the puppy once you find the breeder, so you would have plenty of time to either arrange a safe transport or take time off to go get the puppy yourself. It's my impression that there just aren't all that many breeders doing the testing that should be done, so you may need to travel to get your puppy. But thank you for walking away from the non-testers. As everyone has said, it sends a powerful message.

Back