Thread: Stricter measures on dog welfare needed, says EFRA committee

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Stricter measures on dog welfare needed, says EFRA committee

There are many dog owners, vets, and members of animal welfare groups that continue to lobby for improvements in dog welfare.
    Boring political stuff that can seem to be of little importance to the ordinary dog owner but this is the only way that lasting changes will eventually be achieved.

A Select Committee of MPs have just issued a report.......

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/88308

"Among its list of recommendations was that anyone breeding two or more litters a year should be licensed and face welfare checks; that the KC should refuse to register puppies from breeders who are not ‘Assured Breeder Scheme (ABS) compliant’ and conduct an annual review of breed Standards; high-profile veterinary checks should be extended to other breeds and ‘additional’ checks made on other dogs before their show entry is accepted.
    The committee was outspoken in its criticism of DEFRA Minister Lord de Mauley, who gave evidence to the enquiry, saying he appeared ‘poorly briefed and ill prepared’ to provide information on DEFRA’s views on a range of dog issues.
    "His evidence has done nothing to reassure us about the priority DEFRA gives to the number of dog attacks,” said the committee in its recent report.
    It was also disappointed, the report said, that DEFRA had done little to improve dog welfare linked to dog breeding"..................................

"Currently, breeders producing five or more litters a year must be licensed, but the committee wants this number reduced.
    "We consider this threshold too high,” the report said, adding that this could mean licensed breeders could produce ‘some 40 to 50 dogs’ a year.
    The proposed annual review of breed Standards should be led by vets, the committee said, and the KC should do far more to use its influence on the pedigree dog community, including refusing to register puppies from breeders not compliant with the ABS.
    The committee said the KC had told its members that ‘significant and effective steps’ had been taken both before and since Professor Sir Patrick Bateson’s report into breeding. But, the committee said, the KC was in a ‘strong position to influence, help and work with relevant parties, as its registered breeders were ‘obliged to follow its rules’.
    However, the report said, there remained irresponsible breeders who operated outside the club’s sphere of control.
    "The KC has a general code of ethics by which all breeders who register their puppies or dogs must abide,” the report said. "This includes a statement that a breeder should agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could in ‘any way be harmful to the dog or to the breed’. But the KC does not appear to collate data on compliance with this requirement.”
    Requirements under the ABS for breeders to health screen their dogs should be made mandatory to all breeders, it said.
    "Nevertheless, the KC continues to accept registration of dogs not bred under this scheme.
    Furthermore, as Professor Bateson’s report notes, there is no requirement under the ABS to apply the results of health tests to breeding decisions.”
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is the recommendation made by the UK Parliament's committee, regarding registration of litters:

"We recommend that the Kennel Club refuse to register puppies that do not meet the conditions of its Assured Breeder Scheme so as to send a strong signal to breeders about the need to adopt high health and welfare standards. The Assured Breeder Scheme should require key tests for heritable health problems to be undertaken and 50 Dog Control and Welfare the results of these tests applied to breeding decisions as a condition of membership of the Scheme."

See the report at http://www.publications.parliament.u.../575/57502.htm
    and http://www.publications.parliament.u...ru/575/575.pdf
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default "send a strong signal to breeders about the need to adopt high health and welfare"

The ABS requirements for Cavaliers are laughable, only eye testing, but even that is too demanding for some of the breeders who should be setting an example.

A quick check of the latest Breed Record Supplement shows that one Cavalier Club committee member is allowing her stud dogs to be used although they are not eye tested. One is 18 months ( used twice ) and the other just over two years old. How long has the Cavalier Club had a heart protocol that recommends cavalier parents should be two and a half years old before being bred?

Another committee member has also allowed her underage dog to be used at stud twice, one has used a dog under two years on her own bitch and another bitch, having her fourth litter, has never been eye tested.

Cavaliers are still dying early of heart disease and hereditary cataract is showing up again in top show stock.
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment the ABS hasn't really got any teeth. A friend of mine's dog won his first CC at 18 months, and several people asked to use him at stud. The owner refused until the dog had been heart checked and MRId (for the second time) at 2.5 - but people shouldn't even have been asking to use a dog that young!! How can we get this into the apparently thick heads of some Cavalier breeders who have never learnt to read?! They use the cost of MRIs as an excuse - less than half the price of a well-bred puppy; and they can get their heart checks done for free at the club championship show. I am a pensioner with an income so low that I hardly ever pay income tax, but I still manage to MRI both my dogs, take them to see neurologists if necessary, and get them heart checked every year at the club show. If I can manage it, why can't the breeders who say I don't know as much about Cavaliers as they do because I've never bred a litter?

Rant over! Produced by frustration at trying to help one Cavalier who's just had a mild vestibular episode, and another who's starting to have symptoms of his CM/SM and needs to see a neurologist - and some people still say Cavaliers don't have serious health problems

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nobody has to breed. People choose to be breeders. If they cannot afford to do it humanely, with the best interests of their cavaliers in mind, then they should choose not to do it at all.

I can understand not breeding because you cannot afford a MRI. I cannot understand not scanning your cavaliers and still breeding from bitches that have over a 50% chance of having a syrinx. Can you imagine the sheer pain of straining to push out a puppy when you have a pocket of fluid expanding and destroying the nerve tissue within your spinal cord?

Does anyone want to tell me again how much these breeders love their cavaliers?
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    ... I cannot understand not scanning your cavaliers and still breeding from bitches that have over a 50% chance of having a syrinx. Can you imagine the sheer pain of straining to push out a puppy when you have a pocket of fluid expanding and destroying the nerve tissue within your spinal cord?

Does anyone want to tell me again how much these breeders love their cavaliers?
    Margaret, that is an interesting and important point. I know of many breeders who do not follow the MVD breeding protocol, but who insist that they would never breed a bitch which has a heart murmur, because of the strains of motherhood.

So, here we have a hidden but potentially much more severe strain, and yet no concern about the unscanned pregnant bitches.
    Rod Russell