Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bathing your cavie

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, no! I'm not supposed to use a hair dryer on Bentley? That's his favorite thing in the whole wide world. When he was a baby he liked to sit on my lap while I dried my own hair and I guess it was a natural transition for him to enjoy sitting in the same chair, on a towel, while I dried (as best I could) his hair after an infrequent bath. If I leave the room to get a brush, etc, he's always just sitting there waiting for me to return and he looks at me as if asking, "You're not finished, are you?"

Post Thanks / Like

i dont htink theres anything wrong with using a hair dryer. especially if he loves it.
    The groomers use it don't they? (i have never taken maggie to a groomer yet and my parents took oliver)
    but when dad used to wash oliver at home..i think he just towl dryed and then let him run off the rest. (im the same way tbh lol i ave a hair dryer..but unless im going out i towl dry and then let it dry itself out)

i think its just a preference.
    but then...i never googled the question lol.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Using a hair dryer is fine in moderation -- Most of mine love the warmth too! But just be careful it's not on a too-hot setting, not too close to the skin, and not frequently (eg several times a month). Dryers are hard on hair just as they are for human hair and also can be very drying for skin. I would only use one on a cool setting for a dog with a dry skin problem.

There were some horrific pictures in the UK recently of yet another dog that was left by a groomer under a hairdryer and had severe burns on its body -- it was another in the space of just a few months and there are now calls to make dog grooming a licensed profession. So using a hair dryer definitely requires attention and care.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Bed Head shampoo for dogs- the neon pink bottle with the bone shaped cap. I put a conditioning rinse on him afterward from Kiehls (a little pricey but worth it). I even use their facial products so it is great they have a pet line as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I bathe Charlie once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

I bathe the dogs every 3-4 weeks. You can use a conditioner spray inbetween if your dogs get a little stinky.

Post Thanks / Like

I bathe my two about 5 times a year, my youngest Ollie is very long haired and I get him trimmed slightly twice a year, the last time just before Christmas, he is looking pretty dirty at the moment but I want to hold out until the weather gets warmer as I prefer to let them dry naturally, I also use sentitive shampoo as I noticed he started scratching after being bathed, I stopped using conditoner as I have to be careful what I put on him now.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like

I only bathe the girls every couple months, they go to the groomers every 3-4 months and get a bath there. I use pet head oatmeal shampoo on lady and a brightening shampoo on Gracie, and both get the Furminator de-shedding conditioner. If they get dirty on walks I just stick them under the faucet to get off the grime. I use the pet head or CHI pet detangler/freshening sprays if I find they are getting a bit stinky, but other than that I dont see a need to bath them frequently especially since its hard on their skin.

I had no idea Khiels had a pet line! I use all their stuff myself so I will have to look into get the girls some as well
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Monty and Kaischa are bathed 2 spots in the year. Except they have rolled in something We go to the dog hairdresser, Kaischa is clipped regularly. If I bathe them, I use the K9 Aloe Vera Shampoo and the K9 Leave-in-Conditioner Spray aloe Vera Nano Mist.
    For Occasionally I can recommend the Show Off Spray from Chris Chistensen if they stink sometimes ;-)
    Petra with Kaischa & Monty, Kate forever in my heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Im veering off subject slightly here,but only because its related. Im wondering A) when I should give Teddy his first bath, and B) when I should give him his first claw clip (not me personally, im not brave enough).

As he is a puppy, would it be better to give him a bath soon so that he doesn't feel nervous about it in the future (he is taking everything in his stride and is not a nervy boy, but you never know). I don't intend to give him regular baths, just when he is filthy or overly sandy if necessary, but he will be bathed a handful of times a year. Also his nails, when should he have his first pedicure?
    Lynne x
    Little Ted Bear - Ruby Boy Born December 8th 2012
    Beautiful Megan - Black & Tan. Left us 18th January 2013. My heart and soul.