Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: average weight and height of a cavlier

Post Thanks / Like

He can't be a bulldog cross as he could not be parti colored if that was the case. Parti coloring (white background coloring) has to come in from both parents and bulldogs aren't parti (that I've ever heard of). Long coat has to come in from both sides as well (short is dominant). If he was a bulldog cross he'd have to be the solid clear sable color and as well short coated. There is no way around that genetically.

He looks like a beautiful big boy. He probably is a throw back. I have a dog here that is 27 pounds (slim) and his parents are 14 and 18 and none of his grandparents were over 20 pounds. His three sisters are all ~18 pounds. He just decided to be a bit different.

After owning dogs from weighing from 12 to 70 pounds I have to state this big boy is my preferred size.

Oreo
    Last edited by Oreo; 4th March 2013 at 02:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I breed my dachshunds so getting them fixed isn't an opinion and keepin them separate from him won't be a problem. My biggest concern is is he actually a purebred or a mixed breed.
    Sheila

Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't look like a mixed breed,looking at his date of birth,was he born in December or in September?
    Looking at his date of birth,we would read that as being September in Europe.
    Have a look in his mouth and see what his teeth are like?
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Oreo; useful genetic info on coat. I do think American bulldogs can be parti though -- a trainer friend has one from a reputable show breeder in Sweden! White with reddish-tan markings. Definitely could be a throwback to a larger ancestor (which likely would not be cavalier) or a more recent mix.

On knowing whether he is a purebred or a cross -- how reputable and well known is the breeder? Do they belong to one of the national cavalier clubs so that their dogs are tested (shown) against others bred for type and to standard? Do they do the proper health testing (MRIs, cardiologist testing parents and grandparents, follow MVD and SM protocol, eye and hip test? If they do not do these, with proper certs, then that's a big question mark right there in this breed as it has many heath issues and proper, meaningful testing (not 'the vet said my dog is clear of health problems') is critical and indicates a higher degree of breeder responsibility and care for their dogs, and greatly diminishes the chance of a breeder making up birth dates or not knowing who the sire of a litter really is). Who do they register dogs with? Do they DNA-verify their litters?

Unless there is a respectable registry (AKC or CKCSC in the US) with a responsble breeder that has at least 5-gen pedigrees and some DNA proof along the way, I don't think it will be possible to know. I suppose a puppy could be DNA tested for any recent sign of a mix, but I understand those services that claim they can tell people the mix of their mixed breed actually are only so-so in reliability.

And Oreo, of course you are right -- all dogs should be loved for who and what they are , and size/appearance doesn't matter when the dog is not being shown or bred.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Thanks Oreo; useful genetic info on coat. I do think American bulldogs can be parti though -- a trainer friend has one from a reputable show breeder in Sweden! White with reddish-tan markings. Definitely could be a throwback to a larger ancestor (which likely would not be cavalier) or a more recent mix. Unless there is a respectable registry (AKC or CKCSC in the US) with a responsble breeder that has at least 5-gen pedigrees and some DNA roof along the way, I don;t think it will ever be possible to know. I suppose a puppy could be DNA tested for any recent sign of a mix, but I understand those services that claim they can tell people the mix of their mixed breed actually are only so-so in reliability.

And Oreo, you are right -- all dogs should be loved for who and what they are , and size/appearance doesn't matter when the dog is not being shown or bred.

welsh springer cross ?

He looks purebred to me but is obviously very big

Post Thanks / Like

my guess..and i thought this when i saw the first pic of him posted..is hes older then 12 weeks.
    when you first posted the weight..the weight and birthdate didnt match up. i think hes probably not a cross..he looks cavalier.
    i am a memeber of a cavalier group on facebook and acutally went back because the weight topic came up way back when maggie was 12 weeks.

heres my quote and her litter weight "At 12 weeks, Maggie weighed in at 6.5. Her sister at 5.4 and her other sister at 7.8 all same litter."

my guess.. and maybe others have said it before me..
    is that this pup MAY have been kept around for showing. or went to a show home..but since the nose didnt fill into black..it was time to find a new home.
    i could be tottaly wrong on that..whos to say. and why would she lie? quite a few cavaliers ive met have been given up due to not show quality. heck my own breeder sent out an email saying the boy pup has come back and isnt show worthy. so maybe im wrong.

id ask a vet for their opinion on how old they think he is.
    Id say not just from the weight..but he looks older.

but hoenstly...to you..its not going to matter. he is your baby..hes beautiful and hes going to give you a lot of love over the next few years. weather he's 12 week and big...or hes older and average.. weather he has a bit of other breed in him. hes your baby.. and i am so excited for you, i cant wait to see him grow
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

ohhhh interesting.
    i emaild my breeder the pic (hope thats okay) and asked her to guess his age. told her the weight..but nothing else.

she guesses 2.5 months..and shes a very good breeder.

so...maybe he is just a big boy?
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

He seems huge, though mine is a lightweight. He's 4 years old, 14.5 lbs and usually measures at 12.5 inches at the shoulder under the wicket. How did you measure your guy? He was 7 lbs or so at 11 or 12 weeks. Was his hair cut or shaved? His coat looks rough.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Super Princess for showing his pic to a breeder at least now i no he is the age they sd he was ( he is 3 months old). I never planned to show him just wanted a cavalier as a pet. We just notice he was on the heavy side when we picked him up ( like picking up the floor lol). I appreciate what u did for me. P.S. He is so spoiled already, just love him to bits.
    Sheila

Post Thanks / Like

Lukesmom he weights 11 lbs 8 oz and is 11 1/2 inches tall, his coat is so smooth i just love petting him.
    Sheila