• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

average weight and height of a cavlier

oh good! im glad. i thought maybe i had overstepped :)
but yes..i didn't tell her very much in my first message..just asked her to guess. then i filled her in after she guessed.
shes a wonderful lady and has lots of knowledge. if she guesses 12 weeks i would say its spot on.

Maybe he'll be a big boy..who knows.. both oliver(my last cavalier) and my cat meeko were told to be 'big boys' when they were little. they were. and i tell you those boys were so full of love it was rediculas :d

I bet he will be spoiled. EVeryone says maggie is spoiled rotton.. theyre right :D lol . again i cant wait! flood the picture form with photos of him growing...lord knows i have with maggie. people (espeiclaly on facebook) are probably like enough already.
but i have a 'disclosure' on my maggie album on facebook. You give a cute puppy to a photographer..expect a lot of photos..and im not sorry lol

Just as a comparison, Jemima was born on 28 Nov 2012. She weighs 3kgs (6lb 9??). I don't know how tall she is, but she is a lot smaller than your beautiful boy!

Just to throw my bit in too :) Teddy is now 13 weeks old and when we weighed him at the vets last Thursday, he was 3.7kg. He is long and leggy. I think your boy is utterly utterly beautiful, and I immediately wanted to give him a big love. He's gorgeous. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy x x x

Mine weighed about the same and we are starting to think that ours isn't purebred. :( Glad to see that we are not the only ones :)

From your picture Ms Debz your little guy looks a bit like a long-hair dachshund - I'm really no expert though!

Black and tans often do from some angles :lol: -- and I have heard breeders say they don't like smaller sized cavaliers in the show ring as they can look like longhaired dachshunds, especially some that also have shorter legs! :) I would however agree that this little one is probably a cross of some sort Ms Debz, at some point in his background -- very long and narrow nose. It's the dog that matters though and not the breed or mix! :D

I'll have to check my records, but my Bosco is a big boy. I got him from a very respectable breeder at 3 months, and I think he was about 7-8 lbs then. He's now 1.5 years, and has been 20.5 lbs since the 1 year mark. I never expected such a "big" CKC, and he is not overweight, he's just big. I have no doubt about his breeding -- he is 100% CKC. I'll post pictures later.

I met two breeders in my search and both of them had rather large males, most were between about 18 and 25lbs. Lady's dad was around 22lbs if I remember correctly. Lady's mom is around 17lbs, and at one year old Lady now weighs about 14.5lbs - she was the runt of the litter though.

I was expecting a 10 -12 lb dog, and I wound up with a 20 lb bundle of love! Its a little "Scary" when he comes bounding towards me to jump on my lap! Yikes!

A lot of the researchers into SM feel the larger cavaliers, with longer noses and less domed skulls, are the future of the breed. :)

Most males these days seem to be up around 20-22-ish lbs according to some of my friends who show and breed cavaliers. Many feel the need standard sized males even at the top of the standard, are a bit small.

10-12 pounds would have been under the US breed standard -- and no one should be breeding for extra small cavaliers -- so it's good to have ended up with a larger dog I think rather than extra small.:)

A lot of the researchers into SM feel the larger cavaliers, with longer noses and less domed skulls, are the future of the breed. :)

I understand that is something they are looking at with the current study.

I am not sure how or if the actual "size" (meaning pounds) plays a difference. I could be the exception but Elton is really small with no SM at an older age. However, I've been told that Ella had more of the domed skull but she was larger (especially on prednisone) in "size" but not sure in relation to her head vs. Elton's.

I wanted to edit this and delete it but just read post on a FB group and maybe size is something in the future. I just know Elton is one of the smallest cavaliers ive seen.

Last edited:
It's more that brain size doesn't really vary a lot in dogs -- so breeding them with small sizes means smaller skulls for that brain. Most small breeds also have other anatomical extremes -- high domed heads, tiny snouts, flatter snouts and squashed nose, big eyes in a small skull, ears set at different places... and many of these things together -- it is known that these things turn their internal anatomy around inside their skull, which doesn't seem like the best idea even just as a general point. Also, CM/SM only really exists in toy breeds=small dogs.

Of course not every dog with a given feature that is believed to increase risk of CM/SM will have CM/SM, and some will develop SM well after the point at which an MRI is done, so dogs really need to be followed through life with MRIs to get an accurate picture.

That is what some researchers are trying to do no, and what Rupert's Fund gives money for... knowing more about dogs older than 5-6 is really important to understanding how this condition develops and why it is late onset or no-onset in some dogs and early onset in others. The goal would be to move as many dogs to late, milder onset or no onset. :)

Most males these days seem to be up around 20-22-ish lbs according to some of my friends who show and breed cavaliers. Many feel the need standard sized males even at the top of the standard, are a bit small.

10-12 pounds would have been under the US breed standard -- and no one should be breeding for extra small cavaliers -- so it's good to have ended up with a larger dog I think rather than extra small.:)

Aaaah! I feel better about Bosco and his 20 lbs then! Most of the males I have met are either way overweight, or much smaller than Bosco. Glad to know that bigger may be better than smaller. I excercise him and monitor his food, so I'm assuming he is just "big boned"!

My youngest who will be 3 in a couple of months time is about 20 lb, he is more of the shape of the show cavalier, he is very hairy so looks bigger, my older cavalier who will soon be 13 is often mistaken for the younger of the two dogs and he is much slimmer and higher in the legs and a completely different shape - which I guess is quite a compliment for him.

Back