• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice after dental work please

meljoy

Hi,
Leo is going to the vets on wednesday for some dental work. The vet thinks they'll have to take a couple of teeth out too.
I was wondering if anyone has been through this with their Cav. I want to be prepared and am sure the vet will give plenty of advice but I want to be prepared as possible.
So my questions are;
What sort of diet should I feed him post op? (soft??)
How long before he's back to normal?
Anything else I should know?

Im really dreading it as I know its going to horrible for him...but it needs doing

Thanks in advance
Mel

I've had several needing teeth taken out over time -- three out of five (and one more is going to need extractions soon!).

The vets will give good advice but yes, as you have guessed, he'll want some soft food initially -- but not for all that long (the vets will let you know). Mine were all back to normal in behaviour as soon as the anaesthesia wore off. :) The extraction locations will have healed fairly well within the week.

If his teeth are in the state where he needs extractions, he is likely in a bit of pain from them already and eating might be awkward as is, so he will feel a LOT better once they are out and the others are all nicely cleaned. :)

I really encourage people to always have teeth checked and do regular dentals with this breed, as you are doing -- :D -- poor teeth and gum health is linked directly to heart disease and so good dental care is needed extra help for our breed, already prone to heart disease.

Most cavaliers seem to have a genetic predisposition for poor teeth and gums though. Of the five I have owned, only one has had good teeth and gums -- Jaspar -- and all are fed the same diet and cared for the same way, so it is very definitely a genetic problem for many of them, meaning we all need to be vigilant owners. :D

After anesthesia, Leo may be sleepy for the rest of the day and may not want to eat or drink anything. The vets usually give IV fluids during the dental, so if he doesn't want to eat or drink that evening, I wouldn't worry about it. But, I would also have some soft food available and of course water. just in case. If he has extractions, his mouth will be a little sore, so again, soft food will help. The vet may send you home with pain medicine too.. By the next day or two, he should be back to his old self. Oh, I almost forgot, lots of cuddles also help.

A lot of people have their dogs' teeth cleaned annually under anesthesia. Obviously it is more expensive than regular dental care but aside from the risks to anesthesia, is very common.

Lady had a tooth pulled while she was already under during her spaying and I was told to just feed her soft food/treats for a couple days. I think they generally recover very quickly unless an infection develops. If anything Leo will just be sleepy from being put under.

Before I got Gracie (I took her home when she was 3 years old) she had annual teeth cleanings under anesthesia but I don't think I will continue this since I am trying to keep up with regular dental care at home. But with their tiny mouths I know it can be hard! On top of regular brushing I try to give lots of raw bones (~ 3 per week) and I also use a water supplement called Healthy Mouth.

Good luck to Leo :l*v:

I have had several teeth pulled from two of my dogs. My old dog did want soft food for a while. I just soaked his kibble before I feed it. My boston terrier had stopped eating before her dental and came home eating normal right away. I didn't realize her teeth were so bad (bad momma moment). Just watch for any resulting infection after, if your dog isn't eating by the next day (soft food) I would be worried about infection or pain and visit the vet.

Thank you all so much. Great advice as usual.

I'll give him a soft diet and see how he goes. He has not been off his food at all so dont think thats going to be a problem.....he does like his food.
In preperation for the future I have bought some grannuals called "Plaque off", which you sprinkle on his food. It was recommended to me. I intend giving Dentastix 3 times a week (whilst watching his weight) and trying to persuade him to let me clean his teeth! (wish me luck)

Again Thank you

Mel XX

I was put in this position with my youngest cavalier towards the end of last year, his back teeth in particular had got quite stained, I was so upset about putting him through this, but it had to been done sooner rather than later, I did clean his teeth but was not firm enough with him - he did`nt like having them done. I tried lots of different toothpaste etc.

He did not have teeth out - although the nurse did say that many dogs of his age - not yet 3 often have to. He was up the vets all day, came home late afternoon, was very sleepy, they gave us an information sheet on teeth care and after care etc. Food wise I wet his kibble for a couple of days and just kept an eye on him, he had to go back to the vets about 3 days later for a check up, but he was fine, the vet knew how bad I felt about putting him through this, but said cavaliers are prone to problems with their teeth.

I now am determined that I will not put him through this again, I use Plaque Off in his food every day, brush his teeth every day with Logic Gel or Virbac Toothpaste, can`t decide which is best at the moment, I cannot use Dental Sticks as they upset his tummy, he does run off everytime he sees the toothbrush etc come out and we have a few runs around the room before I catch him, but he lets me do them and will co-operate. Good luck with Leo I am sure he will be fine.

Last edited:
They generally do still need dentals -- eg teeth cleaning, which needs anaesthesia -- every year or two, even when teeth are brushed etc. Same as with humans! -- brushing only takes off so much and plaque still forms around our teeth. Our dogs still can be prone to gum disease and poor teeth, regardless of our personal efforts, but we can improve the situation greatly by good daily or weekly care. :)

So while we all definitely want to do as much as we can to prevent serious problems, most dogs do need regular dentals regardless and many will need teeth taken out over their lifetime (just as with people, even though we may brush and floss every day -- genetics and other factors have their say!). They are back to normal very quickly. The mouth heals faster than many parts of the body -- that's why they can be back eating as normal in less than a week. :)

Just been reading previous posts on teeth, when i picked up Sadie last year, they told me she had had dental treatment, but did,nt say what, just thought because she had been used for breeding, her calcium levels had diminished, and had rotted her teeth, her breath was really stinky, i looked at her teeth and my misson began!!!!! I can sort that i thought, ordered some beaphar toothpaste and finger toothbrushes off amazon, watched a clip on you tube how to clean dogs teeth, and omg they truely look so much better. Sadie loves it yum! yum! is very eager, Ruby is not one bit impressed, i try to brush them every other day, no more doggie breath, well maybe a little!!! I was told by my vet that dental sticks were very fattening for dogs, i don,t know how true that is, i,ve managed to get some of the plaque off, but think its still advisable to get regular checks at the vets.My son thinks i,am barmy, but my vet suggested it. You just have to do what you think is right. Good luck with Leo Mel, i,am sure he will be fine, Karen,Ruby and Sadie xxx

This is timely for me as my two Cavaliers, Laverne and Hazel, have to have dentals...coming in April and May. Hazel has a mild murmur (around grade 2) and needless to say I'm very anxious about it all. Hazel has had a dental in the past, though, and came through just fine. Hazel and Laverne will turn 6 and 8 years, respectively, in August. I know they need it done, but I am a bit nervous about it. My Mixed Breed, Lucy, who will be 12 yrs. in July, had a dental in Janurary and had several extractions...she came through fine, so I'm trying not to worry too much about it. :)

Ive just dropped a very unhappy Leo off at the vet. He loves the attention he gets there but he's not impressed that I appear to have forgotten to give him breakfast this morning:(

I was so guilty about eating my breakfast this morning I ended up eating it up stairs and away from his disaproving stare! I think Ive finally lost it :fool:

I have to call them at 3pm today for an update.
Now I have to make myself busy for the rest of the day.....its unusually quiet in the house and I dont like it:(

Thinking of Leo today Mel, and of course you, I know what it will be like and as you say unusually quiet and about missing the breakfast, Ollie is like Leo and loves his food. I remember we had to get Ollie up the vets early at about 8.30 so I was thinking he would be home early afternoon and we were told to phone just after lunch, anyway I had to go to work that afternoon so I phoned hubby at about 3.00 pm who said that he could not be picked up until about 5.00, I was worried sick all afternoon, it turned out he was one of the last ones to be done. Keep yourself busy if you can.

Back