• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My 9 month old cavalier diagnosed with CM

Try and film what your little dog does, it may help with the assessment A picture is much better than words.

Gabapentin is not that expensive & you do not need to buy it at the vet. It is a human drug so she can give you a private prescription & you can get it from any pharmacy. A lot of us use Boots or Tesco.

Thanks Margaret, I have got some videos of Kookie showing symptoms and I did email those to the vet prior MRI scan. Kookie started on the gabapentin yesterday and although it is early days there seems to be a big improvement. His eyes look much brighter today, he is full of mischief and he seems to have boundless energy. I was surprised the one month supply of gabapentin cost me £14.04 from the vet so not so expensive considering the cost of the vetergesic he has been on for the last month.

What you say about Gabapentin is so right Margaret. Because I have two long term ill Cavaliers and Rebel's age, the partners at my vet's decided to charge Rebel's meds at cost with nothing added on for profit. This means that I pay very little, something like about £20 a month for everything he takes. They do of course charge £25 or so for his 3 month consultations though, but that includes his 6 monthly blood tests. They also send me monthly invoices, which means that I can pay by CT at a time to suit me.

Thanks Flo, your vet seems the best you can hope for and it must instill faith in you when you know they will do all they can for your boy. Kookie seems to have made a great improvement in a very short time since starting on the gabapentin and thanks to everyone here for their sound advice.

It will likely cost even less if you go directly to the chemist. There's no reason to get meds through the vet as this is a human medication anyway -- worth ringing around to see what you'd be charged directly.

Gabapentin can be transformative for SM and CM dogs. :) Do follow Clare's algorithm though with your vet-- dogs on these meds need an annual blood panel done just to make sure they are not having side effects.

Glad Kookie is appearing far more comfortable as you investigate this condition and treatments further. :)

It will likely cost even less if you go directly to the chemist. There's no reason to get meds through the vet as this is a human medication anyway -- worth ringing around to see what you'd be charged directly.

Gabapentin can be transformative for SM and CM dogs. :) Do follow Clare's algorithm though with your vet-- dogs on these meds need an annual blood panel done just to make sure they are not having side effects.

Glad Kookie is appearing far more comfortable as you investigate this condition and treatments further. :)

Thanks Karlin, fortunatley I have pet insurance for Kookie so I am not sure how it would work if I didn't get the meds from the vet, should the premiums rocket as a result of his condition then this information will be very useful for the future. I also joined the vet careplan which gives 10% discount on all medications so every little bit helps. He sure seems a different little boy today comparing with the last few days.

Usually you just get a form from the company and send in receipts and whatever else they need.

Most insurance premiums will start to rise once a dog has had some treatment. unfortunately! Sometimes it is not very much though and still far outweighs paying for everything.

One of mine is on gabapentin and cimetidine, the other two with SM are on cimetidine alone.

Thanks Flo, your vet seems the best you can hope for and it must instill faith in you when you know they will do all they can for your boy. Kookie seems to have made a great improvement in a very short time since starting on the gabapentin and thanks to everyone here for their sound advice.

So glad that the Gabapentin has made such a great improvement in such a very short time. It just goes to show that finding the right medication for a particular dog makes all the difference.

Usually you just get a form from the company and send in receipts and whatever else they need.

Most insurance premiums will start to rise once a dog has had some treatment. unfortunately! Sometimes it is not very much though and still far outweighs paying for everything.

One of mine is on gabapentin and cimetidine, the other two with SM are on cimetidine alone.

Thanks Karlin, my goodness you have 3 babies with this condition, my heart goes out to them but it is heartening to know that with the right medication they can be comfortable.

So glad that the Gabapentin has made such a great improvement in such a very short time. It just goes to show that finding the right medication for a particular dog makes all the difference.

Thanks Flo, it is sure great to see him tearing around again and atleast I know I am on the right track.

Just an update, I have spoken with the neurology nurse today at Stone Lion, they have received the vets referral and hopefully Kookie's MRI scan will be viewed this weekend by Dr Rusbridge. They have been so wonderfully supportive with any correspondence I have had with them.

Just an update, I have spoken with the neurology nurse today at Stone Lion, they have received the vets referral and hopefully Kookie's MRI scan will be viewed this weekend by Dr Rusbridge. They have been so wonderfully supportive with any correspondence I have had with them.
New thread started "Kookie's report from Dr Clare Rusbridge

Back