• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

15 teeth out!!

meljoy

I picked Leo up from the vet today after his dental.
They had to remove 15 of his teeth :yikes

A few at the back were broken and his gums were quite inflammed. I was mortified they had to remove so many. The Vet nurse was lovely and reasurred me she'd seen worse and as dogs have 44 teeth he'd be fine.

Anyway he seems ok....sleepy but ok. He's had some rice and scrambled egg for tea which he ate fine...typical, 15 teeth out and it hasnt affected his apetite at all !

So Im armed with an enzyme toothpaste, plaque off and I have explained to Leo that despite his non compliance from now on his teeth get brushed.....no arguements.

Thank you everyone for the advice and support.....it really helped.
Love
Mel XXX

Poor little guy! So glad he was able to eat. Hopefully, when the meds wear off he won't be in too much pain.

Oh goodness! I have known cavaliers that needed quite a bunch out before though too so don't feel too bad. Great that they are out and his mouth will be all nice and clean. The finger brushes are the nicest for getting them used to a brush if he really hates them (that and meat toothpaste -- :*gh: ).

All of mine are overdue to go in for a dental... you've inspired me to make that phonecall and book them all in.

Our old poodle has had like half of his teeth removed!!!!! He's alright, I do add some water to his kibble tho. It does remind me to take better care of Fletcher's teeth. I started brushing his teeth every evening from day ONE...he loves it now and sits so nice for me.

All of mine are overdue to go in for a dental... you've inspired me to make that phonecall and book them all in.

:xctly: I cant encourage people enough to keep an eye on their teeth. I feel guilty and always will, I know there are genetic issues but still, I get his teeth checked every year and last year his teeth were fine so it shows you how quickly it can all wrong!!

Leo managed to get hold of a box of chocolates at Christmas and some of them were toffees, this obviously added to the problem......but its still been a wake up call.

He seems fine this morning, still a bit sleepy but ate breakfast with his usual enthusiasm icon_whistlingThanks you again for the kind words.

Mel X

Poor Leo and what a shock for you - I think there is a genetic thing and I feel that Ollie will have to be kept a very close with his teeth, I feel he will be prone to problems. Good that Leo ate his breakfast. Good luck with the teeth cleaning, when we went up for the check up the vet suggested starting with just putting the toothpaste on my finger and rubbing it around, then I went on to using a finger brush and after a very short time went on to using a small sized toothbrush - she said to try and make it fun which is very difficult really - it`s more fun for Ollie to run around before with me chasing him with a toothbrush in my hand:) Let us know how you get on.

When do you guys recommend starting to brush the teeth? As soon as you get them? Mine is almost 16 weeks old and only on dry food.

When do you guys recommend starting to brush the teeth? As soon as you get them? Mine is almost 16 weeks old and only on dry food.

Hiya,
I would start now. Even if its just getting your little one used to the brush and the routine. Leo hated it from the beginnning and I wish I'd been firmer and more persistant with him.
Good luck
Leo seems better today....I think Im more traumatised than he is:lpy: He's eating fine and although still a little bit sleepier than normal he's definatly on the mend.
Thanks for all your get well messages.

mel

:updte:

Leo had his post op vet review today. All was well, his dental sockets are healing really well, the stitches are clean and she was really pleased.
She asked if he were eating again normally yet !!!
I didnt have the heart to tell her he'd been doing that ever since I brought him home icon_whistling

We have one more check up next week then that should be it. I cant brush his teeth just yet as they are still healing, but Ive started using the "plaque off" so that should help.

Again thanks for all the advice and well wishes

Mel X

Back