Thread: Romeo with Syringomyelia

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Romeo with Syringomyelia

I do not know how legit this rescue place is. In the US, I tend to only go to Cavalier Rescue USA, ACKCSC Rescue Trust, or Lucky Star. I think there can be "rescues" but are making profits etc. I came across this on my search

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/communit...omes-1-4784431

Fletcher seems to have SM. There have to be special people to adopt any rescue that has this condition or other medical conditions.

Karlin,

I know you are more familiar with rescues in Ireland and the UK so if this seems like a hoax or something then please delete it. They are not asking for money but I don't want anyone to profit that is not a true rescue.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am in the UK Anne, but although I have not come across this rescue organisation before, it looks quite legit to me. There are many, many smal rescue organisations here who provide shelter and rehoming facilities as well as they can.

From what is said about Romeo, so far as I can see, they are doing exactly the right thing for him, by seemingly noticing and investigating his symptoms while working the best way they can to find a new and loving home for him. Strangely enough, I know of a well known rescue in the UK who does not seem to be so fair to those fostering or adopting from them.

I am tempted to ring the shelter to see if there is anything I can do to help or advise. I will let you know if I do.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree it looks like a good general (not breed) rescue. I would guess they could use some advice -- it worries me a bit that this could be misleading to a potential home, as they only focus on this as a probable 'mild' neurological condition without also noting that this is a dog who must be showing outward symptoms at this age which if they suspect CM/SM, which means he really does need neurological care and probably medication, with a good likelihood that this will progress. No indication either that needing an MRI for accurate diagnosis would mean over a thousand pounds for a new owner.

Sweet boy dog Romeo may have a mild neurological condition, but it can only be confirmed by an MRI scan.
    If it is SM, I don;t think any neurologist would ever describe it generally as a 'mild condition', though symptoms at this time might be mild.

A responsible rescue should be giving clearer detail IMHO, but they likely will be very unfamiliar with this condition in the breed and have not been given an accurate picture of the condition and treatment needs.

I note on their page that they have another 5 year old cavalier also listed as having a health issue but it doesn't provide further detail -- perhaps heart? Anyone in the UK interested in a cavalier and comfortable with these conditions certainly may wish to contact the rescue as a knowledgeable cavalier owner would be the best option for these dogs.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Flo and Karlin. It takes a special person to adopt any cavalier or dog that has any medical issues or are elderly. I hope he finds a special home
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella