• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toys

Luly

I was just wondering if your Cavaliers play with toys or not. Mine aren't into toys but will play with it if it has treats inside it. They still do get quite a bit of exercise running around the house and garden. I think its just the way they have been raised. We adopted Lucy after her owners couldn't afford to look after her. She was spoiled as spoiled can be. I don't think her owners ever played or bought her any toys which explains her lack of interest in them. So do your cavaliers play with toys or not? :? :)

Maggie is spoiled rotten with toys.
still..she goes after anythign shes not supposed to (Shoes..apper napkins or recpits, neclaces, cardboard, etc)
she dose love her toys though.
loves this round tunnel my coworker gave us, loves her stuffed animals, bones..ball.

I think you're right when you say it's how they're raised. Of my three, Maddie will chase and fetch all day long (think border collie mentality) and will play inside the house, at training, in the park, anywhere. She was an only dog when we got her, so played with her loads, in fact we used toys to train her recall. Pippin, who was dog no. 2 gave up playing with toys / chasing them etc. because Maddie always won and wouldn't let him have them. So he didn't have a lot of interest in them. However, because I do agility and working to a toy is a lot easier than training them with food, when we got Rosie I was focussed on getting her to play. So she has a lot of 1:1 time with us and toys (something we didn't do with Pippin) and consequently she loves to play tug and chasing things - fetch doesn't yet always happen. ;) Since we've had Rosie Pippin has become more interested in toys, primarily to destroy them with his big back teeth, but sometimes he'll happily play inside the house, not outside though. There he is much more interested in smells and sniffs.

Last edited:
Mine played with toys as puppies; but are not really interested in toys as adults at all, except 1) toys that have treats inside, like chasing a treat ball or 2) anything that can be fetched :) (two of them, two others don;t care much for playing fetch). Some dogs like toys; others don't. All like them as puppies but a lot of adult dogs really are not much interested -- they'd prefer active games with people!

Actually add to that, dog games like Nina Ottosen dog puzzles -- Jaspar loves those too... :D

Guinness loves his toys, he cares about them, and never plays too rough that he would damage them.

Thistle used to rip Guinness' toys to shreds, but now she doesn't care about toys.

Fletcher never really cared too much for toys unless you were throwing them. It took several months of trying to get him interested in even stuffed kongs. Before I got Fletcher I only bought a few toys kind of a little on every type....his favorite has always been water splash balls (pool toys for children) I love them cause they are in the house proof (very light weight) but tough enough not to be chewed up. Fletcher will even bat them around the floor like a cat :) Silly dog! Mr. Monster (my son) likes to get a few balls throwing around at the some time it causes a frenzy Fletcher doesn't know which one to chase first.

I cant even buy Lady a toy that isn't highly indestructible anymore. No stuffed or soft toys in this house anymore!!! Lady loves to play tug of war and fetch with her toys, but Gracie just doesn't seem to know what to do.

I didn't get Gracie until she was 3 years old and don't think she played with toys or people often - just other dogs. So when it comes to playing with a person and a toy, she just doesn't know what to do. Anything squeaky or noisy though - she LOVES. She has this little blue ball that talks when you roll it and my parents have a squeaky toy she goes nuts over. But I cant leave them out around Lady because she will eat them :(.

Back