• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Greetings!!! New first time dog owner!!

drod906

Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this forum. My wife and I are first time dog owners and have a new Cavalier puppy. His name is Max and has been a joy in our lives. He's been with us since mid January. One thing that surprised us is that how fast he grew up in such a short period of time over the last couple of weeks. One minute, he was this tiny ball of energy and now, he's maturing before our eyes faster than we imagined. When we took him to the vet in February, he was 12 weeks and weighed about 3.5 lbs and yesterday was his 16 weeks and now weighs 6.7 lbs. He's growing like a weed.

One question for this forum, is what can we expect over the next few weeks with his growth spurt? It seemed like he lost his puppy fur and looks leaner. Hoping that his fur will grow back and fill out some more.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi and welcome. I was in your shoes almost a year ago. Fletcher my pup was my first puppy ever too. Yes, they grow so fast!!!!! I think Fletcher went thur a few "he looks skinny" or "he looks fluffy" moments. Several times I really thought I was underfeeding him and he looked too thin. Lucky for me my bro-in-law is a vet and time after time he would say no he looks perfect to me. Duhicon_blshing He's a cavalier only the most beautiful breed in earth!!!

My Fletcher is 13 months old now and I am learning to deal with real grow up dog hair:v*cuum: SHHHHHhhhhh actually I love his so much I don't even care.Take it from me brush your puppy's coat and teeth DAILY, so he's used to it. I take out the brush and Fletcher comes running like I have 20 oz stake LOL

Oh yeah and take A LOT of pictures!!!!!

Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this forum. My wife and I are first time dog owners and have a new Cavalier puppy. His name is Max and has been a joy in our lives. He's been with us since mid January. One thing that surprised us is that how fast he grew up in such a short period of time over the last couple of weeks. One minute, he was this tiny ball of energy and now, he's maturing before our eyes faster than we imagined. When we took him to the vet in February, he was 12 weeks and weighed about 3.5 lbs and yesterday was his 16 weeks and now weighs 6.7 lbs. He's growing like a weed.

One question for this forum, is what can we expect over the next few weeks with his growth spurt? It seemed like he lost his puppy fur and looks leaner. Hoping that his fur will grow back and fill out some more.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Welcome and Hi, they sure do grow very fast, Kookie is nine months old now and I remember a few months ago he went through a stage where his legs looked so long and his body looked quite skinny. He has started to fill out now and I guess before too long I will have to watch he doesn't eat too much to keep his weight at an acceptable level.

Thank you Melissa. Appreciate the good info...and yes THEY ARE the most beautiful breed on earth. I do have a ton of pictures and too see such a change in 7 weeks has been amazing.

Welcome and Hi, they sure do grow very fast, Kookie is nine months old now and I remember a few months ago he went through a stage where his legs looked so long and his body looked quite skinny. He has started to fill out now and I guess before too long I will have to watch he doesn't eat too much to keep his weight at an acceptable level.

Thank you Catherine...yes they do grow fast. At Max's first vet visit he was 91/2 weeks old & weighed just 3.04 lbs and now at 16 weeks, he's 6.7 lbs.

Back