• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Was going potty on command, but has stopped!

harvwald

At 4 mos., my girl seemed like a model pup, both peeing and pooing on command. She even knew the difference. Now that she's turned 5 mos., not only does she ignore me, but if I keep saying "go potty," she starts whimpering. She also doesn't want to go very often any more. So far, no accidents indoors, but it seems odd that she wants to hold it so long. She used to pee every time I took her out (every few hours and after naps), but now only 4 times or so a day. She gets treats after going, and I praise when she goes, but she even seems disinterested in those things now. She mostly seems to want to smell the spring odors in the air and is very distractable. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

She's growing up. She's going to be able to hold it longer. It's just like a toddler, when they start out they go all the time, and if you get a warning it's very short. But once they learn to control the muscles, and develop some strength to them the times increase. If she isn't having accidents you could try going a little longer between breaks, maybe add an extra 30 minutes between routine breaks, but keep the after meals and after playing potty breaks.

Agree with above and would add: no puppy actually totally learns much they are initially taught at such a young age -- or maybe to put it a different way: training is lifelong and at this age needs daily practice... and it may simply be that she can't go because she doesn't have to. At this age every few hours is easily enough for toilet breaks, with about6 hours being the max (an hour for every month of age plus one, til about half a year old. However that does NOT mean to use the maximum as a guide for when a dog should go out :) -- most are comfortable going about as often as we do -- every few hours, after something to drink, after a sleep etc).

Or think of it this way -- you can teach a toddler to use a potty chair but it is going to take months of practice before it really sinks in and even then, they will make lots and lots of mistakes and still need training pants. :) A puppy isn't any different. :lol: Learning is in small, incremental steps and easily forgotten by youngsters in particular. PS beware, they tend to forget almost everything again at around 7-10 months -- 'adolescence' :lol:

Oh my, I have a lot to learn about my cav! The rule of thumb about hours is good to know. I think I was making her upset, carrying on about "go potty" all the time. Can hardly wait for adolescence :yikes

:lol: I don;t know, if you were there with a treat she was probably trying to do her best to squeeze something out!

The rule of thumb is a rough guide, but handy.

I am going through this right now with Flynn! He was doing so well, then pretty much the exact day he turned 6months, he has had accidents almost every day, and often does not want to pee when we are on a walk. I reward him with a treat each time he goes potty where he is supposed to, but it makes no difference. He also seems to have forgotten his "leave it" and "drop it" commands unless i am in his face while saying them.... And even then, its not immediate anymore. Adolescence!

Well, Lucy is almost 10 months old and the last few weeks have seen such a change in her!!! behaviour wise and appearance - she's gone all spindly and leggy, her coat is shedding and she looks all spiky - she eats soooo fast, then bothers Dillon for his:rolleyes:, we've had 'accidents' all of a sudden, and I may have to resort to a muzzle when we're out as everything is going into her mouth. We've had a couple of nasty upset tummies just lately.....right now she's pirouetting round the hall........ :yikes I think Dillon is trying to find a quiet place where she can't get at him......

It's so nice to have Bentley past all these issues at 2 1/2 years. He's just a model child now and perfect for 2 old people who love nothing more than sitting around rocking him! He can hold his pee for the longest time now and I can't remember when he last had that kind of accident. It's may just be a coincidence, but it seems that he became better behaved in every way when he started sleeping with us, about last Sept.

others have given you good advice...so ill just pass on a story. Maggie is now nearly 8 months old..but..

I remember..when maggie was really little..and we were just switching from potty pads(ugh never again) to grass...she would go when we woke up...id feed her breakfast and about an hour later shed go again.

i remember when she stopped going again..and i was soooo stressed out and even frusterated..because i had to go to work.
took me a bit to realize..maybe she dosnt acutally have to go again.

still some nights we have 'potty battles'...lastnight we went for a longer walk then i intended..she got back and drank a lot of water.. i was in pain(legs aching) and said ta hell with it im going to bed at 930 on a saturday night.

she wouldn't go potty...i was in bed on my computer for a while...took her out again around 11....wouldn't go..
i was thinking she must HAVE to go..she drunk so much water.
nope..around 4 am this morning she had to go. :s i normally have a water cut off time..but our walk was rediculas (we got lost..haha thats why)

So reassuring to read this. Our little girl got better since my first post, when I tried to stop pressing her so hard. But now when she turned 7 months, it seems to have all fallen apart again. Accidents in the house, too. We are two old people too, so I can hardly wait for Karma to settle down like Bentley:rolleyes:

Back