• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New here

ReneeK

Hi all! My name is Renee and I am the proud new puppy-mum to Bella, a 1 yr old Blenheim Cavalier.
Our family is new to the Cavalier breed, but loving Bella already. We previously had a female Springer Spaniel and are finding the Cavaliers to be much like a young Springer puppy. Absolute lover dogs, smart, funny and a bit quirky. And I have to say that Bella has been the easiest dog to train. She does have a few bad habits, but I sense that they were things her previous owner thought were funny. For example- chasing lights. I wouldn't have a problem wig it but she digs at the carpet trying to catch the reflection off of her collar.
Anyway, I am here looking for advice on pet insurance. I know the risks for this breed, but no idea if the insurance is worth the money. At $35 to $60 a month plus a $200 deductible and.a 20% copayment are we really saving any money? Especially if she doesn't show symptoms for 5+ years.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the board :).

The light chasing could be a result of a previous owner having the dog chase those laser light toys. They are frowned on by a lot of vets as they can cause obsessive compulsive behaviour like this where a dog will go after any kind of reflection. Maybe try to distract her to a favourite toy instead?

On insurance: most of us feel it is worth it unless you could easily cover a costly condition or emergency or accident. With this breed, for a single dog, I'd recommend it. Have a search for previous threads on insurance -- there are lots. keep in mind that half the breed has heart disease by age 5-6 and there are also risks of the neurological condition syringomyelia which can be expensive to diagnose and treat. Once a dog shows anything in its records that might be taken for a previous symptom, the condition won't be covered so if you have a clean bill of health with her now, I'd recommend insurance. :)

I'm sure many others will offer their opinions too!

Back