• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should I write to Berties breeder?

alibunnylady

I'm wondering , do you all think that it would be a good idea to write a letter to the breeder where I got Bertie from to let her know that he now has heart disease?
I've done an internet search and she still comes up as a breeder so unless she has a new line that has been scanned etc and got certificates to prove etc, then she is possibly breeding unhealthy dogs.

I was thinking of writing a nice letter just to inform her so that she will be aware for future reference. I don't want to pass blame or accuse her of anything (even though I know there is s question mark if you know what I mean).

Wondered what you all think and if perhaps you would advise me on wording?

Thsnks in advance

Alison.

Yes Alison I think you defnitely should tell the breeder, any way you care to do it, that Bertie has heart disease. It goes without saying that any responsible breeder would want to know about any defect which has arisen in one of her puppies, whether she can breed away from it or not.

I was just wondering how old Bertie was when the mvd was detected, what grade it is and whether both parents were clear of mvd at 2 1/2 years or older. It would be an added bonus if there are clear certificates for grandparents of 5 years or over.

I'm sorry Bertie has heart disease but hope he will do very well on any medications he might need. :flwr:

Agree with Flo -- any responsible breeder definitely values this information :) and in as much detail as possible (eg the vet or cardiologist's full report, age of dog at detection of murmur, grade etc). If this isn't a breeder who was properly cardiologist testing her dogs and following the MVD breeding protocol, then it is a reminder of why this is so important for the breed.

I'd consider sending the letter registered, just to make sure she gets it.

Thanks. I will write the letter in the week and definitely send it registered.

In hindsight, I am pretty sure she doesn't have hers tested, she certainly didn't show any evidence that she does. All she said was she has never had any heart or eye problems.

Bertie doesn't have a pedigree certificate, can't remember the reason the breeder gave for not registering the litter now. I do know she didn't breed every year. That's about all.

At the time, I was ready for another dog in my life snd heard about it through word of mouth and a friend was getting an older bitch from the breeder. I went along and took my money just in case and of course fell in love in an instant.

I don't regret for one minute my decision to buy Bertie as he is my life. However, I would do more research in the future knowing what I know now.

After having Bertie a few weeks, I got in touch with the breeder to let her know how he was doing, left a message with my phone number but never heard back from her, guess she wasn't that interested.

So sad because I think Cavaliers are the nicest breed of dog to know, if only breeders would work harder to breed out the hereditary problems.

Alison

I was just wondering how old Bertie was when the mvd was detected, what grade it is and whether both parents were clear of mvd at 2 1/2 years or older. It would be an added bonus if there are clear certificates for grandparents of 5 years or over.

Bertie was first diagnosed with a murmer at around the age of 4. Only recently been diagnosed with heart disease, he is six and a half now.

However, I think it may well have been present earlier as he has always had a cough/choke thing and sometimes regurgitates fluid, usually clear or with white stuff in it too. He had lots of tests done around three years ago and ultrasound which showed s slightly enlarged heart and the valves, one, was a little elongated and ever so slightly floppy. This was done by my previous vet who use a mobile lady from the hospital for ultrasound. She herself doesn't know much about dog heart/anatomy so I'm guessing something was missed back then. Up until recently though, he wasn't having any actual problems.

He also has some lung changes which make his breathing fast. Not sure what the changes are or what they mean but vet said to check his breath rate which I have been doing.

Sorry, waffling on s bit here. Will shut up for now, it's because this is all new to me and I'm constantly anxious.

Alison

I think most people here would agree that we are experts at listening to owners who need to waffle on while they come to terms with a new worry. We have all done it at some time.

Is Bertie insured? It may be worth asking for a referral to a cardiologist.

I have received an email from you & I will be sending the information you want tomorrow.

Ah, brilliant. Thanks.

Unfortunately he's no longer insured. Big mistake on my part. We are having to use the PDSA for now but they have a vet who specializes in heart disease and he seems pretty good so far, explains clearly, answers my questions and doesn't rush the appointment.

Alison

Back