Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leash Pulling and Head Halters?

Post Thanks / Like

My trainer picked my Cavalier from a breeder who has been working for 6 gen to improve the patellas and hearts of the breed (less focus on CM/SM, sadly, which leaves me unbelievably paranoid). It has resulted in a considerably larger than breed standard cav, but with healthier hearts and knees. As far as I know there was no hearing issues in this line, but she is learning hand signals/basic ASL along with verbal for all commands, and the verbal will eventually be faded.

I am not very active due to my disability, so it will be a lot of in home work, suitable for a small breed. Sadly, medical conditions accompany any pure bred, but when working with a SD it is good to know the line before selecting, so "hybrid vigor" from a shelter dog can often be too much of a gamble for working as you do not know the heritage of health problems, etc.

Mind you, if I were requiring a dog for mobility, I would need something much larger! (and probably find myself on a forum warning about hip and disc issues before the age of 1 >< )

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% with Karlin - I've been using the Easy-Walk for months and it is the best one I've found after trying at least 5-6 different types.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

I have and use an Easy Walk harness with Fletcher 3 times a day ALMOST every day. It does help a lot, however my dog training abilities (lack there of) must be showing because it has not 100% cured the problem of pulling. He walks great with a loose lead past other adults, other dogs all fine no problems but if he sees children playing in ANY manner he pulls. I have tried the treat thing (tho peanut butter on a long wooden spoon is a wonderful idea- I might try). I think Fletcher has OCD for kids having fun without him
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I was required to get the easy walk harness for our Charlie in an obedience class he was in. I liked it ok, but he loves being able to run and roam when I have the retractable. He also starts pulling if he sees children or cars. He just wants to play with everyone he sees.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the easy walk harness for BellaMia too. It hasn't stopped her from pulling, but has cut down on and restricted it. She mostly walks really well, loose leash, ignores other dogs we come across, but with people it's a whole other story. She is really excited to see and meet them.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Red Headed Baby Girl
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

We have a bit of puppy brain going on with Naomi at the moment, she she just wants to see and smell everything (and everyone!).

I read that the Easy-Walk can cause damage to shoulders, such as strain and injury. Anyone experience this?