• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kookie's report from Dr Clare Rusbridge

cavie3

After sending Dr Rusbridge videos of Kookie and a detailed list of observed symtoms she viewed his MRI scans and made an evaluation.
I received a very detailed report and a copy is being sent to the vet with treatment recommendations. Thankfully there are no syringes present however Kookie does have symtomatic CM and mild secondary ventricumegaly. Clare has recommended Kookie's gabapentin is increased to 3 times a day, introducing a CSF inhibitor either cimetidine or omeprazole and also starting him on an NSAID.

This is what the report states regarding CM
Chiari malformation does appear to cause signs of pain in some dogs, as it does in people (approximately 25% of humans with Chiari malformation exhibit signs of pain). Because the majority of Cavaliers have a Chiari malformation there is the mistaken idea that this is without clinical signs in the dog – however, this is not the case and several of Kookie’s signs are consistent with this condition

She also added the following to the report
The other consideration is whether or not Kookie should have surgery (foramen magnum decompression). . Dogs with Chiari-associated pain are probably better candidates for this surgery than dogs with syringomyelia-associated pain because the improvement after the surgery relates to the Chiari malformation whereas the syringomyelia tends to be persistent.

I would like to see how Kookie does with the recommended medication before considering that option.

I would like to thank all of you who have been extremely helpful since I sought advice on this forum.

Last edited:
My Ebony has symtomatic CM diagnosed by Clare Rusbridge. Thats nearly 2 years ago now and she is managing well on Zitac and Gabbapentin. They only thing that has changed she takes 4 a day now.

Thanks for your reply. glad to hear Ebony is doing well on Zitac and Gabapentin, can I ask how old Ebony was when diagnosed? It is great that 2 years on that things are going okay. I have an appointment with the vet today so hope to get Kookie's medication regime sorted out from Clare's report/recommendations.

Back