Thread: ~ help with keeping those ears matt free ~

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default ~ help with keeping those ears matt free ~

Mornin' all .....

I try to brush my Molly's ears every day, but sometimes it's every other day. Oh my ..... keeping her ears matt free is a real struggle. I've got 2 products - both recommended by her groomer, but I don't notice that they help a whole lot. Monday I had to brush them (it had been since Friday) and there were 3 matts I had to trim out.
    What do you all do to help this? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Barb

Post Thanks / Like

When Sophie's are really bad, I have to carefully cut them out. I use round-tipped scissors and am verrry careful. That mostly happens during shedding season combined with scratching from seasonal allergies.

For some reason, combing Sophie's ears, especially the rear area toward the neck where the hair is thick, seems to remove more hair than her brushes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi amberpep
    i have the same problem with my louie's they are really thick
    i brush them daily and i have a pair of thinning sissors

Post Thanks / Like

I brush Fletcher head to tail everyday and yes I still find little knots not yet formed mats I use a stray in leave in conditioner product on about once a week and it helps. My advice is either comment to daily brushing or perhaps having the groomer thin out the problem areas or even a nice trim. I have always said I would like to keep Fletcher full coate with only between paw pad trimming IF I can keep up with it. I think its perfectly alright to have your dog cut however works for you. Also daily brushing I think helps a bunch with the shedding issue too.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same problem with the ear area and DO brush everyday. It seems that huge mats just magically form (LOL), I have some texturizing scissors that I use to cut the mats out. It does seem to be worse during flea season...
    Noelle, B.B., & Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, thank you all for your great suggestions. I guess I'd better really concentrate on doing this every day. I have just a few questions for you all ......
    1-where do you get texturizing scissors?
    2 - what is the name of the spray in conditioner you use once a week?
    3 - I have several different brushes, and a comb, and I'm not sure which to use. I can't imagine using a comb on her .... she'd probably be yelping the whole way through. She seems to be very sensitive.
    Barb

Post Thanks / Like

I do use a comb and a pin brush. The comb is very helpful at working the mats big or small out. As of yet I have not needed to cut one out. I use a de-matting spray, instead of a simply leave in conditioner I think its more conditioning. http://www.amazon.com/Tropiclean-D-M...ematting+spray

This is the brand I was, its the first one I have tried and I like it. If I come across a knot or mat I directly spray it with this stuff and kind of rub it in. Then I use the comb and start at the bottom of the mat and slowly work my way towards his skin. Fletcher is pretty good about getting brushed although I would say he is not his favorite activity.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras