• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

~ help with keeping those ears matt free ~

amberpep

Mornin' all .....

I try to brush my Molly's ears every day, but sometimes it's every other day. Oh my ..... keeping her ears matt free is a real struggle. I've got 2 products - both recommended by her groomer, but I don't notice that they help a whole lot. Monday I had to brush them (it had been since Friday) and there were 3 matts I had to trim out.
What do you all do to help this? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Barb:-?:sl*p:

When Sophie's are really bad, I have to carefully cut them out. I use round-tipped scissors and am verrry careful. That mostly happens during shedding season combined with scratching from seasonal allergies.

For some reason, combing Sophie's ears, especially the rear area toward the neck where the hair is thick, seems to remove more hair than her brushes.

hi amberpep
i have the same problem with my louie's they are really thick
i brush them daily and i have a pair of thinning sissors

I brush Fletcher head to tail everyday and yes I still find little knots not yet formed mats I use a stray in leave in conditioner product on about once a week and it helps. My advice is either comment to daily brushing or perhaps having the groomer thin out the problem areas or even a nice trim. I have always said I would like to keep Fletcher full coate with only between paw pad trimming IF I can keep up with it. I think its perfectly alright to have your dog cut however works for you. Also daily brushing I think helps a bunch with the shedding issue too.

I have had the same problem with the ear area and DO brush everyday. It seems that huge mats just magically form (LOL), I have some texturizing scissors that I use to cut the mats out. It does seem to be worse during flea season...

Gosh, thank you all for your great suggestions. I guess I'd better really concentrate on doing this every day. I have just a few questions for you all ......
1-where do you get texturizing scissors?
2 - what is the name of the spray in conditioner you use once a week?
3 - I have several different brushes, and a comb, and I'm not sure which to use. I can't imagine using a comb on her .... she'd probably be yelping the whole way through. She seems to be very sensitive.
Barb cavtiny:c*t::c*t:

I do use a comb and a pin brush. The comb is very helpful at working the mats big or small out. As of yet I have not needed to cut one out. I use a de-matting spray, instead of a simply leave in conditioner I think its more conditioning. http://www.amazon.com/Tropiclean-D-...363945806&sr=8-1&keywords=pet+dematting+spray

This is the brand I was, its the first one I have tried and I like it. If I come across a knot or mat I directly spray it with this stuff and kind of rub it in. Then I use the comb and start at the bottom of the mat and slowly work my way towards his skin. Fletcher is pretty good about getting brushed although I would say he is not his favorite activity.

Murphy's ears mat if the wind blows too hard! Misty's on the other hand hardly ever mat, and when they do it's normally one I can tease out with my fingers. I use thinning scissors on Murphy's problem area, the soft fuzzy hair to the back, and under his actual ear, to try and keep them short and neat now. Both get brushed using a pin type brush, and I also have a mat splitter: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/matt-splitter-for-small-matts-by-mikki-26687 to help with the tough knots, it just slices through without seeming to tug.

Murphy's ears mat if the wind blows too hard!

Isn't it a trial?! We had a Shih Tzu whose hair would mat up if you looked at it cross-eyed. He had to be blow-dried after walking outdoors in rain or his fine silky hair matted up horribly. I completely sympathize with you and Murphy's ears.

Isn't it a trial?! We had a Shih Tzu whose hair would mat up if you looked at it cross-eyed. He had to be blow-dried after walking outdoors in rain or his fine silky hair matted up horribly. I completely sympathize with you and Murphy's ears.

It's the way he sigh's at me when I'm brushing his ears, it cracks me up :lol:

I use a pin brush on Luke usually every day, and I also have a comb I use on him to do more thorough combing once or twice a week. I also have a de-matting blade. I use conditioner when I wash him, which seems to help. When he starts to get matted, I wash and condition him again. I keep detangler for him, usually just kids stuff, but maybe I'll try something else. If I miss more than two days of brushing, he gets mats. He has his own travel bag, and I keep a brush for him even for traveling. We can't go for a weekend and not brush his hair.

Pippin has really thick fur on and around his ears. Brushing alone doesn't prevent the mats, so he gets his ears and under his ears combed every day, which seems to keep on top of things. I also use a slicker brush after combing which helps to get more of the fine "dead" hair out. Luckily the girls aren't as bad.

Luckily Kokoda's ears don't really mat.

I brush him once a week, but I can go for a couple of weeks without even the smallest tangle forming.

I agree with using the thinning shears to cut them out, and a leave in conditioner /detangler.
If she wont let you use the comb use a slicker brush.

Here is a video for you. It is of a very matted dogs tail. i know her ears wouldn't be like that but it gives a nice clear picture on what to do.
It works without the blowdryer though :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGopwhHzjNY&feature=youtu.be

Back