• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sore skin

beth1692

Hi everyone,

My 2 yr old cavalier has got really sore skin inbetween her eyes, in the furrow, we've noticed she's got a really deep burrow there compares to our other cav, and are wondering If her tears are wetting the fur and because the burrow is deep the furs not drying properly and then irritating skin?!?
Anyone else seen this/ what do you recommend
Thanks x

I think your guess about the cause is correct, and what you need to do is take her to your vet. (y) Breeds that have these folds as a 'feature' :( (not cavaliers, but pugs, bulldogs, sharpeis, certain mastiffs) can have ongoing skin problems, and you are right that it can be very sore. It isn;t always dampness, just the depth of the folds encourages baceterial growth. Your vet will be able to clean that out, give something for the skin to help it heal, and show you how to care for that fold to keep it clean. :) Some cavaliers can have quite a deep stop (that point where the skull between the eyes lengthens out into the dog's muzzle). One of mine's is deep and has a little furrow but has not caused skin issues. Let us know what your vet says! :)

When we rescued Misty we noticed she had an excess of skin under her eyes, she also had entropion in both eyes. When we spoke to our vet about her entropion, he said he would be tightening up the skin when she went in for surgery anyway, so thankfully we never had any real problems after that.

Hello, not sure if you are in the US or not.... BB had a sore on her paw that would not heal (not like what you are dealing with) but we got Douxo pads which eventually cleared it up. Now the part that may help you, when I was researching this many people with Bulldogs use these pads to keep the folds clean, it may be able to help with the issue you describe.

Back