• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teething Troubles?

FlynnsMom

Hi,

My darling little man is going through some serious teething right now! He is a little over 4 months old, and we lost 3 puppy teeth in last 2 days ( that I know of for sure). Along with the non-stop chewing, he is drooling a lot (while chewing), his eyes are weeping (there are even visible tear stains which seem to have developed overnight) and last night and this morning his stool was loose. Is this all normal teething stuff? Flynn is my first pup since I was a kid, so I really can't remember the teething bit.

Thanks!

Yes it is pretty normal. Be sure to give him lots of chewtoys at this time -- one nice item to buy is a Chilly Bone or similar, a chew that you can freeze and helps the pain as they teeth. :)

Thank you, Karlin! We have some freezer bones, but he licks them instead of chewing them until they are thawed, silly puppers!!! Glad this is normal teething stuff... We were getting a little worried - its like he is leaking everywhere lol

Some people give them ice cubes, or take a washcloth, wet it, wring it out and stick it in a plastic bag in the freezer and freeze it and let him chew on that. But of course only under supervision, you don't want him swallowing it!!

Last summer as a treat I made chicken broth popsicle for Fletcher as a treat. I used empty water bottles to make them. Just fill a 16 oz water bottle with chicken broth or water about 1/3 full then freeze them on their sides...when they are frozen just grab a pair of sharp scissors and cut the ice block from the bottle (sometime you need to run it under warm water to get it loose) They are perfect size for chewing. I learned Fletcher likes plain water ones with fresh fruit in them.

Thanks again ladies - those are great suggestions! I tried the ice cubes andthe washcloth, and again he just licks them. Oh well, it has to have provided some relief, i hope. I am trying to freeze some chicken broth for him now :)

He lost 3 more teeth that i know of since i first posted this thread... My poor baby Flynn.

Update - Flynn got worse :( The loose stool became diarrhea, which got worse, more frequent, and urgent. I took him to the vet this afternoon with a stool sample. He tested negative for parasites, his temperature was fine, and he seemed otherwise ok. While we were there he seemed distracted and kept scooching around on his bum. He keeps circling around and squatting to poop over and over, but only a few little liquid drops come out. He just seems miserable :(

The vet prescribed Metronidazole and Acute Care Paste. Since this is his second bought of diarrhea since we brought him home, the vet also prescribed Hills I/D Diet and thinks he might just have a sensitive digestive track. I have to say, i am not too comfortable with the food choice, especially because it's not meant for puppies. I have never been a fan of Hills Diet to begin with. Also, I feel AWFUL because I am not allowed to feed him anything until tomorrow morning :(

The "miracle" doggie diarrhea remedy in our house is canned pumpkin (not pie filling just pumpkin) The metronidazole should work great but I personally would skip the Hills and just feed pumpkin for a day (maybe even mix in a tablespoon of his normal kibbble or food) then just add more of his regular food every day. Fletcher had bouts of diarrhea in puppyhood. By the way I switched Fletcher from puppy food to adult food not long after I brought him home at 12 weeks. I have never seen the need to feed puppy pet food period, but that's another story. Try the pumpkin maybe search the forum for sensitive tummy homecooked meals I know there are plenty here. Again personally I would not feed the Hills.

Let us know, good luck and I hope he feels better soon :)

Back