• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi!

mudEpawz

Hello!

I am a newbie from Ontario, Canada. This is forum has a ton of useful information. I've spend most of my afternoon reading about the breed and breeder requirements. I met my first Cavalier a year ago while on a walk with my Golden. I've been searching the breed, the more I read about them the more I love them. Of course, I know that there are some health issues and understand the importance of adopting a Cavalier from a reputable breeder who does their clearances.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a reputable breeder in Ontario, Canada? I live in the greater GTA area but am willing to travel.

Thank you!!

ps - sorry if this is a duplicate, my previous post disappeared when I tried to submit it

Welcome, and I too remain amazed at the incredible amount of information - and dedication to the breed - that is available here. I'm certain some Canadian folks will likely chime in with info. As an FYI, in the US there is an organization for cavvies - http://www.ckcsc.org/ - they may be able to put you in touch with someone locally in Canada (as well as near the "bridge" linking our two countries). Since you're about 2 hours across the bridge from me, I got my little girl from this breeder: [admin note: I've deleted names of breeders -- I don't allow direct links to breeders or specific breeder discussions for reasons noted in the 'Getting Started' section (y)) One of the members here nailed it when she said, "Cavvies are heaven sent!" I can't say enough about them and am crazy about my little girl!

Hello! I am in Ottawa and there are a few good breeders in this general area, but you could also check out the Cavalier Club of Canada and their breeder directory. All listed breeders are in good standing with the club but make sure you question each individual for their health testing, etc. http://www.cavaliercanada.com/breeder_directory.php. One thing that I found wasn't discussed during my search was SM and patellas. Most breeders focus on heart tests - which isn't a bad thing but question on the other health issues as well. Good luck :)

Also, don't be dismayed by those who don't have websites! Call people - a lot of breeders focus their lives on their dogs and aren't too computer savvy.

Hi and welcome! :) You might try sending an email to Sandy who runs http://www.fortheloveofollie.com/ -- she is Canadian and has some good club contacts amongst properly health-testing breeders. She has a form on the site where you can send her an email. Be sure to include your own contact details in your email. (y)

Hello and welcome. You do not need to be a current cavalier owner to hang around here :) I was on and begun my cavalier education here month before I actually own one of these "perfect" dogs. We are coming up on our one year "gotta day" soon and I cannot express enough how much I love my Fletcher. I think its very smart to get to know as many owners as possible before you get a puppy. I also had extra planning to do since I have a small child (he was 4) I'm happy to say my son, Mr. Monster and Fletcher are pretty much litter mates today.

Finding a breeder is SO SO hard, but good proper breeders ARE out there. Its a journey the whole thing, finding a breeder, then the "right" puppy, then waiting to meet the puppy, then finally bringing your sweetie home. And there are many many decisions to make......like where will puppy stay when you cannot 110% watch him or her, and the buying for baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chin up it can be very emotional but worth it in the end I promise. Just be smart.

One of my favorite things about this forum is that we are all cavalier crazy and can talk and talk about our little loves forever. My family sometimes just get annoyed listening to me.............

If you find a breeder you think fits the bill but you still have questions feel free to PM me I'll be happy to give you my opinion or point you to someone who can help farther.

Welcome, and I too remain amazed at the incredible amount of information - and dedication to the breed - that is available here. I'm certain some Canadian folks will likely chime in with info. As an FYI, in the US there is an organization for cavvies - http://www.ckcsc.org/ - they may be able to put you in touch with someone locally in Canada (as well as near the "bridge" linking our two countries). Since you're about 2 hours across the bridge from me, I got my little girl from this breeder: [admin note: I've deleted names of breeders -- I don't allow direct links to breeders or specific breeder discussions for reasons noted in the 'Getting Started' section (y)) One of the members here nailed it when she said, "Cavvies are heaven sent!" I can't say enough about them and am crazy about my little girl!

Karlin: Mea maxima culpa! Clearly, I was not thinking and, in my haste, had forgotten about the rule. Thanks for the referral to "Getting Started" to refresh my recollection. Again, my apology to you and the membership.

Hello in the GTA
I live between Orangeville and Fergus and have a cav with SM that is doing very well. I was given good advice on this site.
Listings for breeders can be found on CKCS club of Canada and the Ontario CKCS club.
My experience with my dog's breeder were not positive so no recommendation here.
Make sure you see SM free MRI scans.
Let us know how you progress.
Cheers

Back