• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do your cavaliers like fresh mulch?

Lukesmom

They are in the process of putting down fresh mulch in my neighborhood. They dumped a bit in the street, and Luke just rolled in it like he was in heaven. I took a picture, and a friend said her sister's cavalier also loves fresh mulch. So, I was just wondering, if this a cavalier thing?

I'm sure Jenny would like it. She picks up everything. When she has a branch that won't make it through the doggie door. She backs up and drags it in lengthwise. She always picks up bark and she finds stuff even smaller than a pea. She gets plenty to eat but never stops putting stuff in her mouth. We can no longer give her plastic or rubber toys. I'm sure mulch is on her menu. She loves to dig in the garden and even digs up flower bulbs and brings them in. Of course if we give her a rawhide twist to chew on, she takes it out and buries it. Jenny is now 13 months old. How can she be so cute and incorrigible?

My little three year-old does the same thing. I don't use mulch since carpenter ants love the stuff. However, my neighbor does and has a plant bed along our driveway. After it rains hard the pieces float onto our driveway and she goes after them. Same with twigs and bark while walking. She even picks up cigarette butts! When she was three months old we were on a walk and I looked down at her and she was walking with a butt in her mouth. Looked like a little thug.

She even picks up cigarette butts! When she was three months old we were on a walk and I looked down at her and she was walking with a butt in her mouth. Looked like a little thug.

hahahahh I dont know about mulch, but at my old apartment the people a floor above smoked a threw their cigarette butts over the balcony and they would often blow in and land on ours. I would always find Lady chewing on them!!:grnyuk:

Bosco LOVES fresh mulch. Had to remove it from yard as he made a beeline to it everytime we went out in the yard. He does like to pick up lots of stuff from the ground, but he is DRAWN to the smell of the mulch.

JOan

I was just thinking tonight, Luke only likes certain types of mulch. We were at our training place tonight. One of the potty areas is a basically a box filled with mulch. The pieces are bigger, and it's lighter than what we have in the neighborhood. It's a struggle to even get him to walk in that area sometimes. He'll just make an arc around it. The mulch that the lawn company puts down on the neighborhood trees though, he loves it when it's fresh. One of my other dogs likes to eat the mulch. Luke has never eaten it that I can recall, he just rolls in it.

Rose was just rolling:fool: in our new mulch/bark today ...nothing like the smell of fresh mulch in the bed at night, :shifty::*gh: lol!

Thanks to all who have added to the original post. I thought it was just Jenny, but now I see that it must be a breed characteristic. I'm not used to it, but I'll alert SWMBO. Our previous dog (Jack Russell Terrier) was never interested in anything to pickup other than trash food and cat tootsies. Jenny is into everything, but no one can resist her charms!

Back