• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Random question about breath

BrooklynMom

Hiya :)
So Toby has once before had this horrible breathe problem...but it is like a deep gut breath, like nothing I have smelled before - not teeth and mouth (had a full dental 6 mo ago any way). Anyway, the last time this happened the vet agreed that it was something in the guy (a really foul smell) and when he was under for his MRI, she checked everything and found nothing. So she put him on antibiotics and it went away (though we never knew why).

Now this smell is back. Going to the vet tomorrow but any ideas what could be causing this? I would rather find a reason vs. just shooting blind and not knowing. It is such a bad smell, I can't describe it...it's not "bad dog breath" almost a bit sour and metallic kind of...and a deep gut smell.
All bloods are normal, nothing is wrong with the kidneys or anything.

Just hoping for any thoughts before the doctor????

Could it possibly be anal glands? I have found that some of my dogs in the past have had very different odours but very often the cause was the dreaded anal gland problem! may be worth a check :)

Any chance that's he's getting into cat poop? This always gives my dogs the most hideous breath smell. :grnyuk:

If it is very sporadic I would guess it is due to something he ate, somewhere.

There can be bad smells that come with medical conditions too. Not sure they are necessarily ones that would show on an MRI?

PS your subject heading is one of the best I've seen for a while on the board! :lol:

Perhaps some good probiotics would help? (plain yogurt, kefir, or something like that)

Thanks guys!

In terms of what he might be eating...no car poop and due to he patella surgery 8 weeks ago, he has not been cleared to go for walks yet (his bone is having a hard time fusing), so he hasn't even been outside really. Humm.
Will make sure to get anal glands checked.

In terms of diet, he is on a raw diet and gets raw meaty bones 4 times a weeks. Also gets probiotics daily (or kefir as a snack). So one would think his breath would be minty fresh! It is just a strange smell, like a deep in the gut smell. I know antibiotics took it away last time, but I am very hesitant to use them again unless I know exactly why I need to (the over use of anti biopics scares me!). The vet though when she gave him anti biotics last time that he had bacteria in his gut possibly.

Will keep you posted on what the vet says...just a very strange thing and it did not go away last time til we went to the doc and he had the antibiotics.

Trying to avoid the kisses for now!

Back